Earth Encompassed History Of The Environmental Sciences: A History Of The Environmental Sciences Paperback – Oct 31 2000
|New from||Used from|
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Peter J. Bowler is professor of history and philosophy of science at the Queen's University of Belfast.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
In my view, Bowler completely missed the point and legacy of the Land Grant College system. He called it a state program which is not entirely correct. It is a federal program administered by the states, but it left a legacy not mentioned. The Land Grant system stressed the need for basic research and extension and underscored the importance of the program and its participants to be "honest brokers" in public matters. This was to assure an unbiased assessment and input regarding whatever problem was to be addressed. It kept politics out of the program. That concept was applied to Sea Grant and Space Grant and was written into the enabling legislation for NIH, NSF, etc. I can see where Bowler missed this because as a European, this is unknown and he provided ample examples of how political interference got melded into science and thus the "honest broker" concept never applied there.
Nothing was mentioned about reproducibility of results as being the heart and soul of scientific research which sets it apart from other scholarship.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Ecology > Animal Ecology
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Environmental Science
- Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy > History of Science
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Ecology
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Environment > Conservation