- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Earth-Sheltered Houses: How to Build an Affordable Underground Home Paperback – Apr 3 2006
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
An earth-sheltered, earth-roofed home has the least impact upon the land of all housing styles, leaving almost zero footprint on the planet.
Earth-Sheltered Houses is a practical guide for those who want to build their own underground home at moderate cost. It describes the benefits of sheltering a home with earth, including the added comfort and energy efficiency from the moderating influence of the earth on the home's temperature-keeping it warm in the winter and cool in the summer-low maintenance, and the protection against fire, sound, earthquake and storm afforded by the earth. Extra benefits from adding an earth or other living roof option include greater longevity of the roof substrate, fine aesthetics, and environmental harmony.
The book covers all of the various construction techniques involved including details on planning, excavation, footings, floor, walls, framing, roofing, waterproofing, insulation and drainage. Specific methods appropriate for the inexperienced owner-builder are a particular focus and include:
- pouring one's own footings and/or floor
- the use of dry-stacked (surface-bonded) concrete block walls
- post-and-beam framing
- plank-and-beam roofing, and
- drainage methods and self-adhesive waterproofing membranes.
The time-tested, easy-to-learn construction techniques described in Earth-Sheltered Houses will enable readers to embark upon their own building projects with confidence, backed up by a comprehensive resources section that lists all the latest products such as waterproofing membranes, types of rigid insulation and drainage products that will protect the building against water damage and heat loss.
Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series(2005-06-21)
About the Author
Author/editor Rob Roy has been building, researching and teaching about cordwood masonry for 25 years and, with his wife, started Earthwood Building School in 1981. He has written ten books on alternative building, presented four videos-including two about cordwood masonry-and has taught cordwood masonry all over the world.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Great book. It changed my initial plan a lot. Now I'm leaning toward using the same technics Rob Roy used.
Even though this book describes the projects he has worked on personally, the build process he has developed & used successfully can be manipulated & used with your own designs.
This book is very informative & complete. There's nothing missing!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Real Estate
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > How-to & Home Improvements > Home Design > Design & Construction
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > How-to & Home Improvements > Remodeling & Renovation > Energy Efficiency
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Industries & Professions > Real Estate
- Books > Professional & Technical > Architecture > Buildings
- Books > Professional & Technical > Architecture > Sustainability & Green Design
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Construction
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Environmental
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Ecology > Living on the Land