Effective Interviewing and Interrogation Techniques Hardcover – Jan 23 2006
|New from||Used from|
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"The authors have described a very generalizable and useful interviewing technique that is easy to learn, simple to use, and can significantly improve the ability to discern truth from deception in a manner that is both interesting and engaging."
--J Police Crim Psych (2008) 23:45-47
Now with expanded coverage of nonverbal behavior and assessment of written statements!See all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Through words and illustrations the authors bring to life verbal and non-verbal truth/falsity indicators. The two subject areas that I found particularly interesting and useful were the Forensic Assessment Interview Technique ("FAINT") and the Morgan Thematic Apperception Testing Technique ("MITT"). Although these techniques are quite sophisticated, the authors' explanations and discussions are so clear and well-presented that virtually anyone will be able to understand and appreciate them.
Several reviews commented that the book is easy to read. While that is so, the simplicity and clarity of the text belie the considerable range and depth of thought and insight that went into this book. As such, I would advise readers to slowly digest the book, one paragraph at a time, if possible, and really give the text some thought. In doing so you will most likely gain a much better appreciation of the subject matter. As someone with an extensive law enforcement and legal background who thought he knew everything there was to know about interviewing, I can honestly say that this book really expanded my knowledge and appreciation of the subject.
Forensic clinicans and psychologists would all tremendously benefit from obtaining the knowledge provided. Although, we do not interrogate patients, the use of these techniques will provide emotionally-charged information not yet disclosed by the patient, which can then be effectively integrated into conceptualization and treatment. This book provides skills essential to those treating patients with antisocial personality disorder and/or comorbid psychopathy. The proposed interviewing and interrogation techniques provide methods of assessment much less invasive and time consuming than typical projective (e.g. Rorschach) and personality (e.g. MMPI) measures.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Performing Arts > Theatre > Acting & Auditioning
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Forensic Psychology
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Performing Arts > Theatre > Acting & Auditioning
- Books > Law > Criminal Law > Law Enforcement
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Crime & Criminals > Forensic Science
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Crime & Criminals > Law Enforcement
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Current Events > Poverty > Social Services & Welfare
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Law
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Medicine
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Science
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Specialties > Psychiatry
- Books > Textbooks > Law
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Clinical > Psychiatry
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Psychology