The Elements of International English Style: A Guide to Writing Correspondence, Reports, Technical Documents, and Internet Pages for a Global Audience Paperback – Mar 31 2005
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
EDMOND H. WIESS, Ph.D., is associate professor of communications for the Graduate School of Business Administration, Fordham University, New York, and an independent consultant and lecturer on technical writing, management communication, and documentation. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I wish, though, that it had been more carefully edited. In my first few minutes of skimming through it, I came upon several embarrassing errors: "The shorter Oxford English Dictionary has 25,000 entries" (p. 17) should be "The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary has [some much larger number of] entries"; references to "German-English" and "Hebrew-English" dictionaries (pp. 21-22) should be to "English-German" and "English-Hebrew" dictionaries; the example sentence "an investigate trail is cold" (p. 23) must be a typo (of "an investigation trail is cold"?); examples of hyphenation usage (p. 74) are unclear because the examples appear at the ends of lines; and an example text that is described as being in a mono-spaced font (p. 82) is in fact in a proportional font. Such mistakes distract from the book's overall worth.
As an American living overseas, I am interested in improving my communications for a global audience. I realize the conventions of English in the United States are different from most of the world. That is why I wanted to read this book.
I did gain some new perspectives from the book, but I did find it interesting that the writer did not follow his own advice.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions > E-commerce > Internet Marketing
- Books > Business & Investing > Marketing & Sales > Advertising
- Books > Business & Investing > Skills > Communications
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > Web Marketing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media > Internet & Education
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > English as a Second Language
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Communication
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Study & Teaching
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing > Academic & Commercial
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Marketing & Sales > Advertising
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Marketing & Sales > Marketing > Web Marketing
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance
- Books > Textbooks > Communication & Journalism > Communications
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > Creative Writing & Composition