Empire: Impressions from China Hardcover – Jul 19 2006
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Delano's photographs are honest, unadorned and intimate." --"Life
About the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
What are my complaints one might ask. Well my main issue with the book is the fact that the images are muddy and far darker than his work actually is. You see, I learned of this book in an interview with Delano on a DVD produced by LensWork magazine. The DVD, which is a far better investment than this book, goes into detail about Whitlow's career, his origins in photography and his influences. Unlike this book, the DVD also features 160 of his works and they are presented far better than anything in this book.
Do I recommend this book? Well not for anyone who's looking for an introduction to his. I would suggest LenWork's DVD/CD set or Delano's own website for that. But if you are a fan or collector then you probably wouldn't need my input to begin with. I would only urge someone to purchase this book in the hopes that Delano can benefit from the sales and continue to fund his future projects. Maybe if other publishers find that there is interest in publications of his works, then someone who is truely capable of producing a quality presentation may just step forward.
Agfa is gone, thank God for Ilford!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism
- Books > Arts & Photography > Museums & Collections > Museums > Exhibition Catalogues
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Collections, Catalogues & Exhibitions
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > How-to
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Photojournalism
- Books > History > Asia > China
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural