The Encyclopedia of Tracks and Scats: A Comprehensive Guide to the Trackable Animals of the United States and Canada Paperback – Nov 1 2004
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
He lives in Paradise, Michigan.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Perhaps most annoying is that even though the word scat is in the title, there are only a couple of photos of scat and a couple of crappy drawings. The "comprehensive" descriptions of scat for most species amounts to a couple sentences that do next to nothing to help the tracker differentiate cats from dogs from mustellids. It is in this regard that one feels most egregiously ripped off.
So, don't be fooled. Leave this book on the shelf and let it go quietly out of print....
The book is loaded with mistakes:
-Wrongly labeled photographs (which I'm assuming was not due to the publisher, but to the remarkable ineptitude of the author.) To name just two: the mountain lion track is a dog, and the fisher is a raccoon. There are so many it's painful to flip through the book.
-The drawings are terrible and misleading.
-The gaits are confusing, showing unclear or partial trail patterns that are incorrectly identified.
The author may be a decent naturalist- but the book clearly shows that he has spent extremely little time in the field actually tracking. To be honest, the book is so shabby it leads one to suspect the author saw a way to make a quick buck with very little knowledge.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Atlases & Maps > Canada
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Sports
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Veterinary
- Books > Education & Reference > Spanish-Language Reference
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Animals > Wildlife
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Ecology > Animals
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Ecology > Living on the Land > Hunting & Fishing > Hunting
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Fauna > Wildlife
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Reference
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Hiking & Camping > Instructional
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Hunting & Fishing > Hunting
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Outdoor Recreation > Hiking & Camping > Instructional
- Books > Travel > Atlases & Maps > Canada