Winner of nine Academy Awards® and almost every critic's heart, The English Patient (based on Michael Ondaatje's prizewinning novel of love and loss during World War II) is one of the most acclaimed films of modern times. Hana, a nurse (Juliette Binoche), tends to an archaeologist (Ralph Fiennes) who has been burnt to a crisp in a plane crash. As their relationship intensifies, he flashes back to his overwhelming passion for a married woman (Kristin Scott Thomas). Meanwhile, Hana begins a new romance with a man who defuses bombs (Naveen Andrews) and Willem Dafoe almost steals the show as the thumbless thief Caravaggio. The intricately layered flashback narrative, sounding the depths of the lovers' hearts, improves with repeated viewings.
--This text refers to the Blu-ray edition.
- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Anthony Minghella
- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Anthony Minghella, Producer Saul Zaentz, and The English Patient author Michael Ondaatje
- About Michael Ondaatje
- From Novel to Screenplay-Interview with Cast and Crew
- The Formidable Saul Zaentz
- A Historical Look At The Real Count Almasy
- Filmmaker Conversations
- The Work of Stuart Craig-Production Designer
- The Eyes of Phil Bray-Still Photographer
- Master Class With Anthony Minghella-Deleted Scenes
- CBC Documentary: Making of The English Patient