The Essential Elements of Public Speaking (3rd Edition) Paperback – Dec 27 2007
There is a newer edition of this item:
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The features for this edition include:
- Practical connection between theory, research and skills: The solid theoretical foundation is consistently applied to everyday situations through relevant examples, speech excerpts, thought-provoking questions and boxed features.
- Emphasis on the essentials of the public speaking process: Straightforward, concise explanations of basic principles focus students quickly and effectively on the essential components of preparing and delivering a speech.
- Brief Chapter 2 overview of the steps in the public speaking process: The second chapter, “Preparing and Presenting a Speech (in Brief),” presents 10 steps to prepare and deliver a speech, enabling readers to start giving a speech early in the course, such as a speech of introduction. Subsequent chapters elaborate on these steps, helping readers to refine the process and develop effective public speaking skills.
- Numerous pedagogical aids: Chapter-opening objectives, annotated sample speeches, outlines and excerpts, boldface key terms, self-assessment tests, chapter summaries, exercises, and thought-provoking questions and scenarios help readers review and retain important chapter concepts.
- Comprehensive: Despite its concise, briefer length, the book covers the full range of topics in public speaking, giving readers a manageable and complete introduction to preparing, researching and delivering a speech.
- Strong technology advantage: Numerous in-text references to web sites and electronic resources, as well as the up-to-date Research Link boxes, provide readers with the latest information on selecting a topic, gathering appropriate support materials and doing online research.
- Research Links: Research Link boxes (14 in all), presented in progression from general research principles in early chapters to more specialized ones in later chapters, introduce the research process in small, manageable doses rather than one dense, potentially overwhelming chapter. Each Research Link box does end with a note identifying the next Link and in which chapter to find it to facilitate reading the Links as one entire chapter, if preferred.
- Emphasis on Culture: Cultural insights are integrated into each chapter, offering readers an understanding of the influence of culture in public speaking (for example: analyzing different audiences, giving and responding to public criticism) and the skills they need to develop to succeed in a global community.
- Emphasis on Ethics: “A Case of Ethics” box in each chapter describes a situation which raises ethical issues, and asks readers to think about and respond, promoting awareness of ethical considerations in public speaking and how to become an ethically responsible communicator.
- Communication competence: Thirteen self-tests, called “Test Yourself” are interspersed throughout the book to allow readers to assess their own communication skills and determine how to improve those skills.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I did take previous class of communication, so the first two or three chapters were more related on how we communicate
I feel that somehow the book and lectures have helped me to over come my fear to speak in front of an audience.
Go for it, you can do it too!
Improve my public speaki g skills!! Recommended
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Performing Arts > Theatre
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Public Speaking
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Performing Arts > Theatre
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Performing Arts > Theater