- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Essential System Administration: Tools and Techniques for Linux and Unix Administration Paperback – Aug 30 2002
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Publisher
Whether you use a standalone Unix system, routinely provide administrative support for a larger shared system, or just want an understanding of basic administrative functions, Essential System Administration is for you. This comprehensive and invaluable book combines the authors years of practical experience with technical expertise to help you manage Unix systems as productively and painlessly as possible.
About the Author
Æleen Frisch has been a system administrator for over 20 years, tending a plethora of VMS, Unix, and Windows systems over the years. Her current system administration responsibilities center on looking after a very heterogeneous network of Unix and Windows NT/2000/XP systems. She is also a writer, lecturer, teacher, marketing consultant and occasional database programmer. She has written eight books, including Essential System Administration (now in its third edition), Essential Windows NT System Administration and the Windows 2000 Desktop Reference (all from O'Reilly Media, Inc.) and Exploring Chemistry with Electronic Structure Methods (Gaussian, Inc.). Currently, she writes the "Guru Guidance" column for Linux Magazine. She also writes poetry and is currently working on her first novel.
Top Customer Reviews
One of the things I appreciate most about this book is the organization. Rather than listing out a bunch of technical information, each chapter deals with a specific task that a sysadmin needs to be able to do, and the information to carry out that task is contained within the chapter, rather than making references to other chapters or appendices, as is common practice.
This is another book that delivers the excellence I've come to expect from O'Reilly.
It is a big book, much of which I feel is fluff, but if this was your only book on the topic, you would still be ok. The wording just isn't as clear as I'd prefer.
Most recent customer reviews
This is a really nice book for those who want to learn a lot of system administration, not only Unix/Linux concepts.Published on Aug. 4 2013 by Cesar Sanchez
I use this book more than probably all my other reference materials put together. This book provides information across most UNIX platforms ie Linux,AIX, Solaris, HPUX etc. Read morePublished on March 17 2004
This book is hard to follow unless you already know about Unix. I think myself as intermediate user at least since I am using Unix since in engineering school. Read morePublished on Sept. 2 2003
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science > Systems Analysis & Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Intranets & Extranets
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Administration
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs > LAN
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs > LDAP
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Linux > Networking & System Administration
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Linux > Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Solaris
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Unix > AIX
- Books > Computers & Technology > Operating Systems > Unix > Administration
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Computers & Internet
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Networking
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Operating Systems