- Actors: Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Tom Wilkinson, Gerry Robert Byrne, Elijah Wood
- Directors: Michel Gondry
- Writers: Michel Gondry, Charlie Kaufman, Pierre Bismuth
- Producers: Anthony Bregman, Charlie Kaufman, David L. Bushell, Georges Bermann
- Format: AC-3, Anamorphic, Color, Dolby, DTS Surround Sound, Dubbed, DVD-Video, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC, Import
- Language: English, French
- Subtitles: Spanish, French
- Dubbed: French
- Region: Region 1 (US and Canada This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Number of discs: 1
- MPAA Rating:
- Studio: Universal Studios
- Release Date: Oct. 5 2004
- Run Time: 108 minutes
- Average Customer Review: 44 customer reviews
- ASIN: B00005JMJG
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Widescreen) (Bilingual) [Import]
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Screenwriters rarely develop a distinctive voice that can be recognized from movie to movie, but the ornate imagination of Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation) has made him a unique and much-needed cinematic presence. In Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, a guy decides to have the memories of his ex-girlfriend erased after she's had him erased from her own memory--but midway through the procedure, he changes his mind and struggles to hang on to their experiences together. In other hands, the premise of memory-erasing would become a trashy science-fiction thriller; Kaufman, along with director Michel Gondry, spins this idea into a funny, sad, structurally complex, and simply enthralling love story that juggles morality, identity, and heartbreak with confident skill. The entire cast--Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Elijah Wood, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Wilkinson, and more--give superb performances, carefully pitched so that cleverness never trumps feeling. A great movie. --Bret Fetzer
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
The aura and ambience of the film are blinding and emotional, and the storyline tests the hearts and souls of the audience. The main premise of the movie (having been stated before) is very striking even though it sounds like some sort of sci-fi flick.
Twsting realities and rediscovering your memories isn't as easy as Carrey's character thought. Jim Carrey's and Kate Winslet's roles seem to have been switched and their love is so belivable on-screen. It's the most unlikely pairing I could think of, mostly because Carrey is used as a sensationalistic comedy-actor, while Kate is usually the lacy, lady-like, 19th century English woman.
The soul-ride through the blurry and incomplete memories, coupled with a serious comedic undertone and human intervention, makes this film shine fantastically among the greatest love stories ever told on film. I recommend picking it up today if you liked Lost In Translation or any other indie movies.
This is a smart love story. It isn't just about two people getting together under some strange circumstances and falling for each other and some string of conflicts tests their relationshop and it all works out at the end. No, this is Charlie's Kaufman's love story, of course it's nothing like that.
It's brings up so many different ideas concerning relationships and memory, and how Kaufman ties it all together is, can't say this enough, incredible.
The cast also does a fine job with their respective roles.
If you've ever seen any of Michael Gondry's work, you'll know what to expect here. If you haven't, it's deliciously clever stuff.
The extras are okay. I would've loved to know more about Kaufman's and Gondry's creative process, you know, see them discuss their ideas more in-depth, but as it is, it's not bad.
The unlikely pair that is Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey illuminate the screen with unexpected chemistry.
The idea that a person can be completely eliminated from one's memories is startling. But this idea truly comes full circle with the 'moral,' if you will, of the story: Don't act irrationally! Beware of what you wish for!
The film also seems to employ the use of magical realism, in creating the absurd memories of Carrey. Suspended disbelief is a must in watching this movie, and the plot must be looked at more as an allegory than truth.
But overall, 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' was heartwarming and meaningful. Kate Winslet is a gem, and I hope to see Carrey in more serious roles like this one in the future!
In my opinion, this is Jim Carrey's best film. He adds some of his typical humor but it isn't quite as over-the-top, like you may normally recognize from him. An interesting supporting cast (Kate Winslet, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood, Kirsten Dunst) turns this movie from a potential deeply complex film into something a bit more uplifting, and definitely make it easier to follow along.
It's very much a love story though. The final 15-20 minutes of the movie seemed impactful to me, (especially one scene where the memory world around him was fading into nothingness as he was emotionally pleading for Clementine not to go) but the entire movie kept you intrigued regardless.
If you like movies to simply be entertained for a couple hours and could care less about the messages, deeper metaphors, or thought-provoking type films; I would say this likely isn't for you. On the "Jim Carrey scale", this is closer to his film "The Number 23" by far, than it would be to something like "Ace Ventura" or "Dumb & Dumber" for example.
Want to see more reviews on this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Comedy Stars > Jim Carrey
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Romantic Comedies
- Movies & TV > Drama > Love & Romance
- Movies & TV > En français > Comédie > Comédies dramatiques
- Movies & TV > En français > Comédie > Comédies fantastiques
- Movies & TV > En français > Comédie > Comédies romantiques
- Movies & TV > En français > Drame > Drames romantiques
- Movies & TV > En français > Fantastique, Horreur et Science-fiction > Fantastique
- Movies & TV > En français > Fantastique, Horreur et Science-fiction > Science-fiction
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Comedy