Etsy Success: How to Make a Full-Time Income Selling Jewelry, Crafts, and Other Handmade Products Online Paperback – Dec 7 2010
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Ideally, I would have liked this book to be a step-by-step guide (like an instructional manual) that would show me exactly what to do in order to be successful online. Instead, there was a lot of suggestions and advice, but not a lot of "First do this, then do this" kind of direction that I would have preferred. If you're pretty good with a computer or already on Etsy, and you're good at filling in some of the blanks, this might not be an issue for you.
Here's what I liked:
1. Advice on how even the most little decisions (like choosing a good store name) are important
2. How to find your niche in the midst of all the other craft people out there so you'll be more likely to stand out in the crowd. (As an example, I got the idea to do a meditation line after reading this book)
3. Good ways to pair up with other Etsy sellers to help promote each other. This has lead to not only increased sales, but new friendships as well.
What could have been better:
1. There's many chapters on how to market in other places besides Etsy. I wanted to know just how to completely focus on Etsy itself and nothing else, since I'm already doing other things and purchased this specifically for Etsy.
2. There was one chapter especially for jewelry makers. I know the majority of people on Etsy make jewlery, so I understand the need to include info for them, but I only got 1-2 ideas from it. You will like this if you make jewelry though.
3. I would have liked to have read stories of actual people who are successful on Etsy to see the things they did to get where they are
Three things I really liked and three things to be improved on so I am putting this book right in the middle with three stars.
I got enough ideas to feel like the book was worth my time and money. I am excited about selling my aromatherapy candle to meditators and that idea came directly from this book, so that was worth something.
This book covered basic marketing ideas. Some were obvious, others were ones I hadn't thought of (such as posting jewelry making tutorials on Youtube to help get my name out there). I liked that there were a variety of ideas that ranged from easy things to ones that could work if you wanted to invest more time into your marketing (by creating a weekly e-mail newsletter, for example). I also appreciated the offline advertising advice as well.
Each bit of advice also included an explanation as to why such a marketing tactic would work. The gist of it is, you want to have an ongoing relationship with your customers rather than having them buy once and there is no communication after that. It's almost like turning your customers into "fans" who appreciate you staying in touch and giving them free information and special deals. Basically, this book gave me a new outlook on how to promote my Etsy store in a way that doesn't leave me feeling like a used car salesman.
I give this book four stars because part of it was devoted to how to set up an Etsy store. Wouldn't someone who bought this book already know how to do that? While the section isn't long, I think more useful information could have been given instead.
I really enjoyed this book. Here are a few of the highlights that really stood out to me:
1. Believing in Your Talent
It sounds so crazy, because you would think that this would come naturally to anybody putting up am Etsy store, but I had my little store up and running for a while, without much success, until I really got serious about it. I am now making more money than ever and much of that has to do with the new-found belief in myself and understanding of how this business works that I have gained from this book. It has enabled me to sell my products for more money than I was previously. Same work and same products, just more money.
If this is something you can relate to, you will love this book for that part alone!
2. Getting Focused on Customers
This book gave me a new understanding of what it means to get focused on customers, from selling the types of products people want to buy, to keeping in touch with people who buy. Just to give you an example of how it helped me, I was not keeping in touch with people who had previously purchased from me at all. This book showed me a few good ways to do just that and my sales went up immediately. I was amazed at the results.
So I can say for sure that what's in this book will help you make more money with you Etsy store.
There is also some very good, specific information on exactly how to do things like:
- banner ads (how to do swaps, so you get the ads for free, for example)
- getting publicity from established craft web sites (press releases, etc)
- setting up your store (best for beginners, but I already had a store and was able to benefit from this section)
- setting up your own web site (and what to post on it) in order to get more people to your Etsy shop
But probably the best part of this book is that it has profiles on people who have been successful with Etsy. That was really inspiring and also a really nice benefit to me, since I have a hard time figuring out who knows what they're talking about on the Etsy forums.
Etsy was always proposed to us by others and we purchased a few things on Etsy over the years. But I believe our experience with eBay (not great for what we sell) sort of left a bad taste in our mouths. Still, when my sister got this Etsy Success book, she read it that very day and called me the next morning to come get it and read it too. I had tons of things to do but she insisted and I finally got over there in the late afternoon. After dinner I started reading, reluctantly, and... well, I basically finished before I was able to go to sleep!!!
The ease and speed --- and LOW COST (basically zero) of setting up an Etsy store that sells is something we like because trying new things is difficult for us, we don't like change! But Etsy Success makes this so simple that it's sort of silly for us not to open an Etsy store. We got great ideas here about maximizing our Etsy success. Did you know TIMING can cause a listing to be successful or fail? Also, don't do what we started doing in spite of the book's warning and try to be all things to all people. We have found that when we focused on a niche and stressing only bracelets and necklaces our sales improved right away. Plus, the tips on how to market our Etsy store offline and through using our previous buyers in our mailing list is superb! Now if we do shows, we care far more about getting potential future customers signed up through on our email list than actually selling at the show!