Eureka 437AZ Optima Lightweight Upright Vacuum
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- 12 Amps
- Tools on Board
- 8' Hose
- HEPA Filter
Get the power of an upright in a lightweight and versatile vacuum! The Optima Lightweight Upright features the exclusive Power Paw¿ with Riser Visor® to efficiently clean stairs and upholstery. The comfort grip looped handle has 13 adjustable positions for a sure and comfortable grip. You'll enjoy cleaner indoor air with the HEPA filtration system that captures over 99.9% of dust and allergens.
Top Customer Reviews
1. The product was ordered on Friday and it arrived on Tuesday. Standard shipping; had been 'warned' that it might take upwards of a week, but shipped in two business days.
2. About the vacuum cleaner: powerful. I've used portable vacuum cleaners and a powered one with a bag, but this one just beats them hands down; it is a little under 3 ft. tall and has quite a few nozzles that can be attached to the main body, so that once I set it up, it became an all in one solution. It also took me around six minutes to take out everything out of the box and set it up.
I did a test run yesterday with the portable one I had before followed by the new Eureka; it was like I hadn't vacuumed the carpet before!
Long story short: powerful and compact.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
- so easy to assemble
- machine definitely cleans well on hard and carpeted surfaces
- light, easy to maneuver, handle height adjusts easily and with a wider range than I had anticipated
- power paw works great! Took all the cat hair off the velvet-covered futon couch which is like a giant lint roller
- other attachments also work well. Dusting brush is great for the stereo components, computer, etc.
- easy to switch between hose/attachment suction and floor suction.
- I found the dust cup easy to clean, and mine is not too hard to open, as some reviewers have found.
- I like the bagless feature: when I accidentally suck up a vital piece of my son's lego, I can see it right away and get it out easily.
- quietest vacumm I've owned.
- small point: it is blissfully easy to unlock from a standing position. I used to own the Eureka Boss, and I had to go put shoes on each time I vacuumed because the foot lever lock release was so stiff.
- cleaning the HEPA filter is a bit of a drag. I used a toothpick and ran it down each individual fold. On the plus side, an astonishing amount of dust was trapped therein, and went into the trash instead of back into the air in my apartment. I don't mind cleaning it thoroughly a few times a month because I have proof my place is that much cleaner. I may try the pantyhose trick that one owner illustrated in the photos section.
- the unit feels a little flimsy: it creaks and rattles a little. But that's the downside of an inexpensive, lightweight vacuum. You can't have lightweight and heavy-duty in the same package.
- the exhaust does vent at the front. I wonder why Eureka didn't at least angle the vents upward? I hope they're reading this. Anyway, it's pretty easy to angle the airflow upward as you push the unit forward. Only in tight corners is it really a problem, and then you can easily switch to the hose and finish the corner that way.
The short cord and small capacity of the dust cup don't bother me because my apartment is about 500 SF, but I guess those could be drawbacks in a larger living space.
1) If you have a lot of uncarpeted floors in your home/apartment, this is a great buy for cleaning bare floors ( I use the hose for everything!)
2) This little ( fairly lightweight) vacuum is a wonderful space-saver with its ultracompact size and adjustable vacuum handle
3) The "Power-paw" attachment is amazing! It is perfect for cleaning rugs and carpets, sofas and the like.
4) The canister is bigger than originally thought! I was worried with the complaints of many who mentioned that you constantly need to empty the vacuum after a few times. I have not needed to empty it out as often as I thought, in fact ( as dusty as my home has been ; since our last vacuum left so much dust/dirt behind) I am amazed at what this little sucker picks up. [I did 2 bedrooms and my bathroom and still haven't needed to empty out the canister as yet] (I guess it really all depends on the size of your rooms/house and how much dirt and dust one room has...
5) Surprisingly powerful. As an dust-allergy sufferer, I cannot affort to 'clean-up' after I have vacuumed. I hated vacuuming before we got this vacuum because I was constantly having to pick up what our old vacuum left behind, and with this one, it's not the case. This sucker is amazingly powerful and strong. Some complain about the sound (that it is loud) but I actually don't mind since I have never heard or owned a 'quiet' vacuum, I am actually quite content with it's 'noise'
1) The exhaust is in a weird location. Right above the vacuum's head is the exhaust. Its kinda weird because if you are trying to suck up something, the exhaust is blowing out hot air at the same time and might cause dust and dirt to go flying in the opposite direction to where you want it to end up. (Because I do not use the regular vacuum feature and use the hose and attachments more, I bypass this issue)
2) Hose might be a little short. I am not sure if the hose is too short or if my vacuum is so new that the hose has not stretched out a little bit, but in any case, the hose is like a perfectly new "Slinky" toy which needs to be elongated a little before you can attempt to clean your blinds and curtains
In all, I gave this vacuum a 4. I still love it to death and love lugging it around to clean my carpet-less floor. Hope you enjoy it too!
Most of the 4- and 5-star reviews are right on the money, and as for the flaws, so far they're entirely forgivable in a machine this inexpensive.
+ Lightweight and easy to move and carry, collapsible handle ditto
+ Cute - I don't mind looking at it if I happen to leave it out
+ Cup is very easy to remove and dump, and a good capacity
+ Great suction and power
+ Gets into corners and nooks easily without special maneuvering
+ Easy to switch between floor and hose suction
- Other than the 'Power Paw,' whose usefulness eludes me, attachments are minimal. A tube to extend the hose's reach would have been nice so that one doesn't have to stoop to use it down low.
- Rolling brushes get clogged with hair very quickly. This should be removable by the user for regular cleaning and preventative maintenance.
- Front venting strikes me as a design flaw, but there are ways to work around it.
Regarding whether the 'Power Paw' and filter justify the extra $20, I'm undecided. The filter was something I thought was a necessity though I'm not sure why. It does collect an awful lot of gunk, meaning very little makes it into the cup at times, and I can't tell if this affects the suction. The filter gets very very dirty and isn't especially easy to clean, even with an old toothbrush. I believe the manual says the filter can be rinsed a few times before it needs to be replaced. I'm already eager to rinse it out but I don't want to buy a new filter right away.
However, I am sold on the 'bagless' style this machine represents. In the old days I would avoid picking up food particles with the vacuum since I didn't like the idea of food matter sitting in the vacuum bag for months at a time, getting smelly or who knows what. Since I'm dumping the cup every time I vacuum, now I don't stress about sucking up food (I even use this on my kitchen floor instead of a broom). I also don't worry about picking up something by accident, since it's so easy to pop out the cup and get it back.
I thought I would miss being able to raise and lower the unit for low or high pile rugs, but I'm thinking that was a feature I never really needed in the first place.
My house is 2400 square feet and all hardwood/tile with area rugs, two long-haired humans and one long-haired cat!
This vac fit sthe bill perfectly for us. it is very powerful and very small, albeit not all that light. Since our Sea Ray has a Bean central Vac installe din tha cabin, we wanted a vac that has a powered brush to lift up all the small stuff that gets into marine carpeting in the cockpit and also have a detachable hose with a couple of tools to vacuum dashboard and other colsets in the cockpit.
This vac does it all well. It is just as powerful as a full size vac, has a rotating brush that can be turned off, a very flexible hose with three tools and stows in minimal spaces due to retractable handle and small size.
What we don't like: As mentinoed before the vac blows the air from the turbine ahead of the cleaner and with force so it can stir uo dust and stuff if you are not careful. I don't like bagless vacs period and this one is no difference. Always a mess to clean out and you eventually have to buy a new filter too at $12 for this one. But I can easily live with the shortcomings because this little rascal does the job and is small enough to stow well. Highly recommended!!