The Euro: The Politics of the New Global Currency Hardcover – May 5 2009
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The Euro and the ECB have obviously been evolving over their history, in particular over the last year as turbulence overwhelmed economics and in particular central banks macroeconomic models about factors of growth and trade and counterparty fear manifestations. This book does well to describe the conservativeness and aggressiveness of the members separately and their power and bargaining power in setting up a cross country currency regime. It gives insight into the way that the Euro was less quick to move than other central banks. This is probably unsurprising to most as the ECB constraints were pretty well known, focusing on inflation alone, but the origin of the tensions and fears that made the ECB mandate more narrow are all described in this book.
I am sure that more books on the Euro will follow, but this was very informative and gave a good sense of the history and politics of the bank and the countries within. It was interesting for both refreshing some of the personalities of former politicians and their parts played in sometimes constructing, sometimes delaying the eventual currency unification.
But looking at the publication date (2009) something tells me the 2nd edition will be much longer than the 1st. I suggest a revised title: "The Euro: The World's Worst Man-Made Disaster".
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Economic History
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > International
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Money & Monetary Policy
- Books > Business & Investing > Finance
- Books > Business & Investing > Popular Economics
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Economic History
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Money & Monetary Policy
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > International > Economics