Experimental Geography: Radical Approaches to Landscape, Cartography, and Urbanism Paperback – Jan 13 2009
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
“What could be more delightful--and unsettling--than turning loose a group of contemporary surrealists, disguised as vagabonds and artists, in the ripe fields of the hyper-real? Experimental Geography isn’t about space; it is about terminal strangeness.”
--Mike Davis, author of City of Quartz and Ecology of Fear
"Living in cities, we need a new way to think about how we move and what we notice... This strange, exciting book offers just that--a new way to notice public space. It is the brainchild of Nato Thompson: the results of his fascinations with urban planning post-Katrina, abandoned or unnoticed urban landscapes and public art."
--Susan Salter Reynold, Los Angeles Times
"We know that a book touting 'radical approaches to cartography' may not set your pulse racing, but the playful and probing diagrams in Experimental Geography--including a map of the last half-century of arms trades that scribbles out just about the entire globe--ought to at least get your mind melting."
--Jonathan Messinger, Time Out Chicago
About the Author
Nato Thompson is a writer and curator at Creative Time, one of New York’s most prestigious public art organizations. He is the editor of The Interventionists: A Users’ Manual for the Creative Disruption of Everyday Life, a survey of political art of the 1990s, and Ahistoric Occasion: Artists Making History. He recently produced Paul Chan’s acclaimed Waiting for Godot in New Orleans, which included free public performances of Samuel Beckett’s play, theater workshops, educational seminars, and more.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > History & Criticism > Themes
- Books > Arts & Photography > Museums & Collections > Group Shows
- Books > Arts & Photography > Other Media > Graffiti & Street Art
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Human Geography
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Cartography
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Geography
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Cartography
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Geography