countdown boutiques-francophones Eco Friendly Cleaning and Care home Kindle sports Tools

on December 21, 2009
If your child, even as young as one year old, is wild, explosive and starting to physically abuse you, I HIGHLY recommend this book. My son is six, and I wish I'd had this book when he was one. Even so, it vindicated my years of decisions to NOT use corporal punishment (and not to medicate or pathologize), since, as the book rightly says, "every child wants to be good"!

NO OTHER professionals understand these children (99% will automatically assume the family is violent) or can resist labeling them incorrectly with miscellaneous trendy dysfunctions, but this author resists.

Greene has a solid step-by-step approach to dealing with the explosions, and I found his approach helpful. But really, the fact that he NAMED my wild child correctly; treated him humanely; didn't pathologize him or our family; didn't infantilize and bore me as a reader; and didn't suggest drugging him -- these things made all the difference!

I can't say enough about this book. Other people see a monstrous brat and assume the worst (or else the behaviour only happens at home and nobody believes you); Greene sees an "explosive" little child (otherwise smart, healthy and sane) who WANTS to be and do good for himself and his family.

Don't wait til your child is too old! Buy this book NOW if you have a feeling that, even as a young toddler, your child's temper is white-hot. Even if s/he's too young to reason with, you'll start developing Greene's method and make it into habit.

I could kiss this Greene guy for writing this book! And it's so perfectly titled!

(And I'm not a shill for him or the publisher -- I've wasted money and read LOTS of utterly useless parenting books that went straight to recycling. Most psychologists write lousy books that should have been two-page pamphlets.)
on March 12, 2017
This book arrived and was exactly as described. Thank you!
on August 9, 2017
Very interesting and am now working with a specific child using the suggestions. A long haul though. Child seems happier now, though is it because a group of us have read the book? We shall see....
on February 19, 2017
This book made me cry and gave me hope.
on May 10, 2017
Great book!!!! Fairly easy to read and comprehend. Helped with our five year old. Recommend for parents struggling with a child who can be difficult.
on March 1, 2017
Interesting
on April 16, 2017
Great book with some wonderful suggestions. I hope my ex wife will read it :)
on October 6, 2016
I am a middle school teacher, and I have occasion to meet rigid, explosive students from time to time. Dr. Greene had to spend no time persuading me that behavioural interventions with these children are not only ineffective, but more to the point, they are harmful.
I am very pleased to come away with a plan of how to understand, approach, engage, protect and help such students to not only learn how to better handle their challenges in life, but also to help them get to a place where they can actually learn in my class like other students and disappear as it were into the class and student body as just another kids trying to make it through a school day.
Furthermore, it has offered me skills with which to deal with students who may not be as severely affected as some rigid explosive children are yet still will need a particular manner with which to be approached and supported. I am very happy that I read this book. It changes everything.
on August 14, 2016
When incentives and consequences have no affect, then it's time for the main philosophy of this book, that "Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children" have behaviour issues not because they want to, but because they are lagging the skills they need to cope. This change in perspective was a real eye-opener for me as a parent, and after reading my local library's copy, I bought it so I can highlight and mark up my own.
on June 16, 2004
This book has changed our lives! I have read it several times through, and given copies to all of my daughter's educators. I cried when I read the opening chapters - it described my life to a tee. But now, after using the methods discussed in the book for about a year, the difference in my daughter, my household and my sanity are remarkable. This methodology is phenomenal!