- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Family Cow Paperback – Jan 3 1976
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
This is the basic book -- yet with all the essential details -- for the family that decides to keep a cow for all the benefits she can provide. Learn first the costs, the gains, what she gives and takes. There are practical, fully illustrated chapters that include:
- The history and behavior of the cow.
- Nutritional needs, from grass to milk.
- Buying a cow -- the sources, breeds and factors to consider.
- Handling techniques, housing and fencing.
- Feeds and feeding -- cow and calf.
- Milking and uses of milk.
- Health and diseases, breeding and calving.
- Growing feed crops, use of manure.
The Family Cow is complete with data charts and tables, a glossary of agricultural terms, and source lists of books and equipment.
About the Author
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Amply and simply illustrated no-nonsense text on everything from the raw vs. pasteurized debate to milking technique and milk product recipes. Lots of charts and graphs and anatomical renderings for thoroughly understanding the animal and the functions of milk production at home.
There isn't a question that's come up that I couldn't find the answer to in this book and we have a happy Family Cow because of it.
Consider this book a necessity for your farm library.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Cooking by Ingredient > Cheese & Dairy
- Books > Medical Books > Veterinary Medicine
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences > Animal Husbandry
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Animal Husbandry
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Veterinary Medicine