- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Fierce.Com: The Exclusive Book For Web Elitists Paperback – Jul 14 1999
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"We sell lies," write Tor Hyams and David Scharff. "Fierce.com is our excuse for spilling misinformation on the public's lap each week." Well, sort of. Actually, it's a Web site where they post weekly reviews of other people's Web sites, and Fierce.com: The Exclusive Book for Web Elitists contains a couple hundred of them culled from the first few years of the site's existence.
Be advised, however: this is just a collection of Web site reviews approximately the same way The Divine Comedy is just a bunch of notes from Dante's dream journal. Highly opinionated (verging on warped), these speed-typed, barely edited write-ups only occasionally provide a straight-line glimpse of the sites they purport to critique. More often the review is a pretext for a deranged rant about evil alien show dogs, an erotic reverie on getting turned on by Archie comics as a child, or some other peek into the oddly charming inner lives of cousins Scharff and Hyams.
Lamentably, the sheer quantity of reviews gathered here, combined with the authors' off-the-cuff, Web-native style, means the reviewers' efforts themselves often deserve their own most lukewarm rating: Not Quite. But Hyams' brother Matt's humorous interludes (trippy riffs on, say, obscure mail-order products or U.S. diplomatic efforts to get a look at Saddam Hussein's nether regions) are never less than laugh-out-loud hilarious. And overall, the reviewers hit their marks too, providing a sharply personal snapshot of the Web that earns them their own highest praise: this book is Fierce. --Julian Dibbell
From Library Journal
On their web page, Fierce.com, the authors offer highly opinionated reviews of mostly iconoclastic sites, ranging from the animal kingdom (Big Dave's Cow Page) to the erotic (Hot-N-Nasty Toons) to Zines (The Smoking Gun). This collection of reviews is not the Internet Yellowpages but rather a sourcebook for net surfing connoisseurs.
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Top Customer Reviews
Tor and David are two of the craziest, abrasive, outspoken and out-of-control guys (with no particular quality attributed exclusively to either one) it's ever been my pleasure to come in contact with. And Matt is just plain unhinged. But all are hilariously funny and do the best "baffling with bulls**t" routine I've ever come across.
Just buy the book - it'll make you laugh, it'll probably make you cry and it will certainly make you look at the Web as it should be viewed - with one eye on the screen and the other on just how crazy and unreal (in the true sense of the word) this virtual reality world called the "WWW" really is. In other words - cross-eyed. (Well, it's worked for them!)
Thank you Fierce.com for bringing all of these fine sites to the surface. I will be purchasing your book for years to come.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions > E-commerce > Internet Marketing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > Web Marketing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media
- Books > Computers & Technology > Microsoft > Networking
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Introductory & Beginning > Computer Dictionaries
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Services
- Books > Education & Reference > Catalogues & Directories > Directories
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Computer
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Science
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Business
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Pop Culture
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Library & Information Science > Library Management
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Popular Culture
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Marketing & Sales > Marketing > Web Marketing