Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on September 5, 2016
This is a very sad (and unnecessary) "repeat" of the previous original, funny and very watchable Cleese comedy "A Fish Called Wanda". The new cast includes many of the UK's best comedians in small cameo roles, some not funny at all, although clearly intended to be droll. It just didn't work.
I can only assume that this was cashing in on the reputation of the earlier venture.
on December 8, 2000
The outrageous plot of "Fierce Creatures" features flirty fun and cuddy pets. The premise of this farce: a hilarious "we'll only feature fierce creatures" policy at the zoo. The characters are well cast in the same way as "A Fish Called Wanda." This film is just a romp and was not meant to be taken seriously. I really liked it.
As for "Cold Comfort Farm," this is the one-part version of this funny story of an odd family, and it's got a much better flow and is less confusing than the three-part BBC version from 1968. But that one is fun to watch, too. This one is a good, solid production that features Stephen Fry and Joanna Lumley in marvelous performances. The plot in this one is clearer and there's no filler, as there is in the other version.
I don't know why these two videos got packaged for sale together -- they're NOTHING alike. But maybe it's just because both are farces with wacky characters. I thoroughly enjoyed them both. It's a good bargain.
on June 27, 1999
Once I saw this film in the theater, I knew I had to own it. I suggest, if you like truely smart comedy that provides belly laughs, you must see this wonderful film. I am suprised it did so grimly at the box-office, although it did very well overseas. Also, if you like Monty Python, you must watch. It is at times satirical, at times parody, and at times, just crude humor to balance it out. Kevin Kline is extremely funny, and walks away with the film from the opening credits on. He is a truly gifted actor, and makes an ordinarily delightful movie excellent. NOTE: This is NOT a sequel to A fish called Wanda. It does have the same cast, but has a comlpetely different storyline. Also, the premise is completely original, and is not so formulatic like so many other comedies. If you're looking for a great movie to rent or buy, choose this, and I promise, you WILL NOT be dissapointed with your choice.
on November 23, 2002
When a old farting heartless Corporate Mogul (Oscar-Winner:Kevin Kline) takes over a failing Zoo, hoping to make Money out of it, by leaving to the New Zoo Director (John Clesse) by making the Animals Fierce under the supervision of a bright business woman (Jamie Lee Curtis) & the dumb mogul's son (Kline again). The new Zoo Director has to deal with a resentful staff and other complications.
Directed by Robert Young (Splitting Heirs) & Fred Schepisi (Mr. Baseball, Roxanne, Six Degress of Separation) made a Uneven but Entertaining fitfully comedy that doesn't quite pays off as it should but it`s Kline`s Comedic Performance comes off best with his fun dual role. The sexual tension between Clesse & Curtis is quite funny that highlights this flick. This was Originally filmed in 1995 by Young and then Largely re-filmed by Schepisi in 1996. Clesse, Curtis, Kline, Micheal Palin, Maria Aitken & Cynthia Clesse, who are also in this, did work together before in the Classic Comedy-A Fish Called Wanda. Panavision. Grade:B+.
on August 24, 1999
I'm reading some of the reviews on here, and some of them are just a little nasty. I mean, this wasn't a great movie, but it wasn't a bad one either. I loved "A fish called Wanda," but I think the super quality of that movie set expectations a little too high for this one, which is part of what is causing these nasty comments. It's very hard to recreate something of the same caliber as "Wanda," especially when you've got the same cast, without repeating yourself. But give it a break! This movie was funny, the acting was good, it wasn't that bad! It just wasn't as good as it's prequel. I think fans of the first movie should see this, if only to see John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline, and Michael Palin all reuinted again - and because of the fact that it was GOOD!
on July 3, 2001
It's not A Fish Called Wanda, and that's a good thing because it's a different movie. If it were a sequel, people would still complain as sequels are "never as good as the original". Both "Fish" and Fierce Creatures are comedies but in completely different ways. Whereas "Fish" is a more adult comedy using hilarious sexual situations and harsh language, "Fierce" has more of a Monty Python flavor of lunacy. I find Fierce Creatures the funnier of the two, but A Fish Called Wanda is the better made movie. If you're a Monty Python fan, I recommend this highly. If you're not, you need to rethink your values and hop onto the British humor bandwagon and stop filling your head with the infantile "gross-out" drivel that's so popular right now.
on July 5, 1999
As much as I love John Cleese and the "Wanda" crew, I have to say I found this movie severely lacking in the humour, the sexual tension and the edge-of-the-seat excitement I'd enjoyed in "Wanda". The beginning scene set the unfortunate tone and it went down-hill from there. It wasn't for lack of trying by the cast. They were, as always, doing their best to turn in top performances but the spark just wasn't there. A waste of their talents and that of supporting cast, such as Robert Lindsay. I have to admit that the final scene held a few laughs but I believe that was more the result of the costumes than the story. I WANTED to like this story. I really, really did. Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough substance to hold my interest.
on April 26, 1999
Why are so many people convinced this is a sequel to 'A Fish Called Wanda'? It has some of the same actors, but 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' wasn't a sequel to 'Life of Brian', was it?
This film involves a zoo which falls victim to a money-mad business tycoon. New head zookeeper John Cleese) resolves that the only way to save the zoo is to fill it with fierce animals, certainly a satirically-elemented commentry on a world where people seem to delight in real-life horrors and bloodthirsty videos and computer games.
Excellently humorous, touching and well-made film, and seeing a tarantula portrayed as it really is rather than as a rubber maneating monster is the cherry on the proverbial bakewell.
on September 18, 1999
I happen to enjoy English comedies. This one is quite good. I laughed all through the movie and enjoyed myself considerably. I disagree that the picture doesn't rate with a Fish Called Wanda. I took the movie out from Blockbuster because I noticed that Robert Lindsay was one of the animal keepers. Look out. This guy is terrific especially after just seeing him in the Hornblower Series. Thanks for a great movie and hope to find other movies with Robert Lindsay in the States.
on October 2, 1999
I always enjoy John Cleese in his classic Basil Fawlty role, that's about the only part of this movie I laughed at. There's too much emphasis on the big stars, we never really get to know any of the zoo staff. It could have been much funnier. Get the Fawlty Towers videos if you really want to see some classic British humor!