- Paperback: 400 pages
- Publisher: Seven Stories Press; 1 edition (March 7 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1583227008
- ISBN-13: 978-1583227008
- Product Dimensions: 14.2 x 2 x 21.1 cm
- Shipping Weight: 299 g
- Average Customer Review: 8 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #360,995 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Fluoride Deception Paperback – Mar 7 2006
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Whether you are for or against, or even neutral on water fluoridation, you owe it to yourself to read The Fluoride Deception. By chapter 3 you’ll find the arguments against water fluoridation compelling. The book is well written, and reads like a very good fiction novel."
—The Water Exchange
About the Author
CHRISTOPHER BRYSON is an award-winning investigative reporter and a television producer. He covered Guatemalan Army human rights abuses from Central America in the late 1980's for the BBC World Service, National Public Radio and The Atlanta Constitution. He was part of the investigative team that won a George Polk Award and Sidney Hillman Prize with Jonathan Kwitny at Public Television's The Kwitny Report. Bryson's reporting for The Manchester Guardian, The Christian Science Monitor, Lingua Franca and the BBC has included investigations of David Duke's Nazi past, NASA's nuclear payloads, the Rev. Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church, and CIA links to Radio Free Europe. In 1998 he was part of a team that won a National Headliner award for a History Channel documentary on the bombing of Pan Am flight 103. He lives in New York City with his wife Molly and son Owen.
From the Hardcover edition.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
This book is wonderful and anything but a dull read. It sheds light on a heap of cases against the use of fluoride, and also raised the question that I used to wonder which was if toothpaste is poisonous to small children (thus the 'only pea' sized amount message on the back of toothpaste tube) how do we know that we aren't drinking too much of it in our water? I always thought it was a bit strange since the amount of water I drink is of my own choosinge.
If you're raising an eyebrow and wondering about why I hope a dentist would read this, well, dentists aren't trained in the area of toxicology, while they are taught that the fluorine ion is naturally occuring, 80% is actually created by man-made activitity and the rest is burped into our atmosphere by volcanoes :)
From out of the memory hole, Bryson has brought forth declassified government docs and internal industry memos that help deconstruct (and obliterate) the corporate spin (e.g. 'look ma, no cavities') that has been internalized for too long by too many people - even by people who are otherwise aware and progressive.
Some examples of the material Bryson has unearthed:
* Fluoride was industry's biggest air pollutant during the Cold War, causing the greatest amount (by far) of litigation, both for damage to workers and damage to the environment
* The biggest air pollution disaster in US history was a result of fluoride air emissions, not sulfur gases as the government has long contended (Bryson provides new compelling evidence on this - see the ALCOA memo)
* The main scientists promoting the safety of fluoride had profound (yet often unknown) conflicts of interest
* Fluoride was a vitally important chemical to national security, as it was the chemical used (on a massive scale) by the US bomb program to process and refine the uranium
* Scientists in the US bomb program (e.g. Harold C. Hodge) who were involved with the human radiation experiments, were behind the implementation of the early water fluoridation trials
* The "Father of Public Relations" Edward Bernays was involved in the early campaign to fluoridate the nation's water
* Studies (Bryson provides several irrefutable examples) indicating seriously harmful effects of fluoride exposure were suppressed and never published.
In a nutshell, The Fluoride Deception is a seminally important book about a surprisingly important subject: the risks of fluoride to our health and environment. It is a must read for anyone interested in the fluoride issue and/or the making of the Atomic Bomb.
Want to see more reviews on this item?