- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Following the Equator: A Journey Around the World Paperback – Sep 1 1989
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
In each location, Twain gives you his unique perspective and interpretation of each countries customs, population, and history. He even talks about life on the boat. Throughout the book is also illustrations and pictures to give the reader some background and/or enjoyment.
This is not a book I would pick up to read unless you were familiar with Mark Twain's writing. I found his commentary and tales to be very funny. This is a pleasure to read by all Twain fans.
Pssst! The paperback is the best buy. Steer clear of the hardback version, it is overpriced and a big disappointment.
A definite collector's item for Twainers.
I credit Jimmy Buffett with pointing me to this book through a reference on a CD although I don't share the opinion that Buffett's book is in the same league. As cited earlier, you can open this book anywhere, just read a chapter and it makes sense. My copy has no bookmark in it. We just hop around. Twain takes us places we've never been. Great book.
There is a passage in "Following The Equator" where Twain describes the most thriling experience of his life as the time he was hurtling down a Himalayan mountainside on a small-gauge railcar through a "dreamy purple haze".
Most recent customer reviews
This book made me quit my job and follow my dreams. Twain tells the tale in elaborate detail. If you have ever dreamed of traviling the world read this book!!! Read morePublished on Nov. 9 2001 by Tom Arnold
I didnt like this book one bit. It was too long, too boring and it was terribly written. One star and dont buy itPublished on Sept. 15 1999
This book made me quit my job and follow my dreams. Twain tells the tale in elaborate detail. If you have ever dreamed of traviling the world read this book!!! Read morePublished on March 29 1999
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing > Travel
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > 19th Century
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > History & Criticism
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Geography
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > American Literature
- Books > Travel > Reference & Tips > Essays & Travelogues
- Books > Travel > Reference & Tips > Travel Writing
- Books > Travel > Specialty Travel > Adventure