- Paperback: 448 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Books; Reprint edition (Aug. 26 2003)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 014024087X
- ISBN-13: 978-0140240870
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 2.3 x 22.6 cm
- Shipping Weight: 476 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #3,259,415 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Friendly Guide to Mythology: A Mortal's Companion to the Fantastical Realm of Gods Goddesses Monsters Heroes Paperback – Aug 26 2003
Customers who bought this item also bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
Intended as a popular compendium of world myths, this broad survey is a limited, quickly referenced assembly of tales that includes gods, goddesses, origins, and beliefs. The anthology samples all eras and regions, attempting to refine the meaning of myth as it mutated into legend, saga, fairytale, and folklore while moving through such diverse cultures as Greek, Roman, Chinese, Native American, Yoruba, Mexican, Welsh, Inuit, and more. Unfortunately, the skillful prose and extensive coverage is compromised by a confusing format that arranges the material into five disjointed sections. The book's glossary and bibliography are, however, excellent. Recommended for comprehensive myth collections. Robert K. Burns, MSLS, Hatboro, PA
Copyright 2001 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
About the Author
Nancy Hathaway's books include The Friendly Guide to the Universe and The Unicorn.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
It's also really well organized: by the different types of story.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Encyclopedias > Mythology & Folklore
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Research
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Mythology & Folk Tales
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Folklore & Mythology
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Reference