G-Dog and the Homeboys: Father Greg Boyle and the Gangs of East Los Angeles Paperback – Sep 20 2004
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
""Cops, rabbis, judges, janitors, teachers, talk show hosts, citizens: Read G-Dog and the Homeboys!"
From the Inside Flap
This is an updated edition of the story of the gang scene in East L.A. and Father Gregory Boyle's innovative ministry and economic development efforts in the area. --This text refers to an alternate Paperback edition.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This book was good to read afterwards but the one I recommend more is 'Tattoos' My friend went to a 2 day retreat with him and described as tender and soulful.
This is an extraordinary and well-written story, told without sentiment.
That being said, the Kindle edition needs some serious copyediting. I found numerous spelling errors, some of which made it difficult to understand what Fremon meant. It seems like it was rushed into "print." There's even a written placeholder in the author's bio at the end that says "Insert author's picture here." Keep it classy, Amazon.
Celeste's expertise in the areas of street gangs, gang violence and juvenile issues allowed her to take you deep in the lives of the homeboys of Boyle Heights in East LA (one of the toughest and most violent neighborhoods in Los Angeles).
Imagining triumphs and success seems impossible for most of the gang member she has chronicled from childhood into adulthood over a period of nearly fifteen years. But, some have shined, some have died, some have developed into responsible adults largely due to the work of Father Greg Boyle (G-Dog) who has dedicated his life, to rehabilitate these children.
The book recounts how Father Greg evolved from an inexperienced young priest to the director of Homeboy Industries, the country's largest gang intervention program and most successful model for gang rehabilitation.
The new chapters bring you up to date not only with "G-Dog" and his labor of love, but with many of the young gang members who are now young men and women.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Ethnic & National > Hispanic & Latino
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Religious
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Crime & Criminals > Criminology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Crime & Criminals > Gangs
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Urban
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Special Groups > Hispanic American Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Religious Studies
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Criminology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Sociology