- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Games of No Chance Hardcover – Nov 13 1998
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"This book must be read by every serious student of two-person full-information games, and it provides an excellent presentation for anyone seeking a proper introduction to the subject." Solomon W. Golomb, American Scientist
"Some books make mathematics look like so much fun! This collection of 35 articles and a comprehensive bibliography is a marvelous and alluring account of a 1994 MSRI two week workshop on combinatorial game theory. This could be a menace to the rest of mathematics; those folks seem to be having such a good time playing games that the rest of us might abandon 'serious' mathematics and join the party...Even the technical terms are laced with humor." Ed Sandifer, MAA Online
This volume presents papers from the workshop on "Combinatorial Games" held at MSRI in July 1994. Combinatorial games are two-person perfect-information games such as chess, checkers, go, domineering, dots-and-boxes, hackenbush, nim, etc. The positions of the latter games in this list tend to decompose into sums of simpler positions. This book will be the newest addition to the literature on combinatorial games, covering many aspects of the current research and will be sought after as a state-of-the-art report in the field.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Science
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Puzzles & Games > Board Games
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Evolution
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics
- Books > Science & Math > Evolution > Game Theory
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Pure Mathematics > Combinatorics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Mathematics