Garden of Microbial Delights: A Practical Guide to the Subvisible World Hardcover – Aug 1995
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Sagan and Margulis provide a somewhat dated, but useful, annotated list of references and enough detail about the biology and observation of these organisms to whet the appetite for more. A short chapter on collecting and culturing the microbes is augmented by comments on collection and culture within the discussions of each taxon.
If I have a criticism (other than the fact that the taxonomy is somewhat dated) it would be that the authors should have included a note on safety, as some of the cultures can produce pathogenic organisms. Given these occasional "nasties" it would be worthwhile to emphasize some sanitary precautions. That said, the study of microscopic life is much under rated in the United States (much more popular in Britain!) and perhaps books like "Garden of Microbial Delights," along with a recently published guide to bacteria, may correct that imbalance. It certainly would not hurt if more people became more aware of the teaming billions of organisms in their world, including a host that we depend on for our very existence. If you are at all interested in the microscopic inhabitants of the real world, even if you are not interested in observing them, you should read this book.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Medical Books > Basic Sciences > Microbiology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Biology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Ecology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Evolution
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biology > Microbiology
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Ecology
- Books > Science & Math > Evolution
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Basic Science > Microbiology
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Biology & Life Sciences > Biology
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Biology & Life Sciences > Ecology