- Student Exclusive: Amazon Prime Student members save 10% on all textbook purchases. Enter code TEXT10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Gardens Are For People, Third edition Paperback – Jun 12 1995
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Landscape architect Thomas Church [wrote] for contemporaries when he wrote "Gardens Are for People. . . . Now that Church's book has been reissued in paperback, a new generation can learn about his influential, indeed revolutionary, California Style. Church, who helped transform opinion about gardens in the post-World War II era, was designing for American families and their real activities."--"House Beautiful
From the Back Cover
This classic of landscape architecture has been required reading for the residential garden design professional, student, and generalist since its publication in 1955. Gardens Are for People contains the essence of Thomas Church's design philosophy as well as a great deal of practical advice. Amply illustrated by site plans and photographs of some of the two thousand gardens Church designed during the course of his career, the third edition has a new preface and a selected bibliography of writings by and about Church.See all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
If you have read even a few landscaping books, you will find that most of the ideas expressed will be familiar to you and won't be of much help to design your specific garden. I felt the yard and garden examples in the book were dated (as in 1960s, 1970s, 1980s looking).
Finally, I was disappointed in both the printing and the photo examples. All the pictures were black & white, and they all were rather crudely printed. This made it difficult to see details within the photos.
On the up side, the text is good reading for those seeking to become a landscape designer, be he amatuer or professional. And if you DO want to do "retro" designs, the examples ARE well done.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Gardening & Horticulture > Garden Design
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Gardening & Horticulture > Landscape
- Books > Professional & Technical > Architecture > Landscape
- Books > Professional & Technical > Architecture > Reference
- Books > Textbooks > Architecture
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Architecture