- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
German-American Names. 3rd Edition Paperback – Sep 25 2008
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Library Journal
Most of us are curious about the meaning of our names. For those with names of German origin, this dictionary will satisfy that curiosity. There is a 60-page introduction that explains where German names came from and tells how to use the dictionary. The author's discussion of the Americanization of German immigrants' names fills a gap in the current literature. Few authors have succeeded in making this topic as simple and entertaining as Jones has. It is the best treatment of the subject in English. Medium and large public and academic libraries will want this in their reference sections. Special libraries serving genealogists will find it a necessity.
- Raymond S. Wright III, Family History Lib., Salt Lake City
Copyright 1990 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Overall, I found this to be a very interesting resource. If you are interested in genealogy, or just want to know a little bit about your names, then this is a good book for you to get. I highly recommend it!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Foreign Language Dictionaries & Thesauruses > German
- Books > Education & Reference > Genealogy
- Books > Education & Reference > Spanish-Language Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Etymology
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Women's Health > Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Books > Textbooks > Reference