Getting Into Business School: 100 Proven Admissions Strategies to Get You Accepted at the MBA Program of Your Choice Paperback – Mar 15 2010
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
“In my 15 years running MBA admissions operations at four top schools, I have never reviewed a more helpful admissions manual. It is a must for all serious MBA candidates.” ----Dr. Steven DeKrey, Senior Associate Dean, MBA Director, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology; former GMAT Committee Chair, Graduate Management Admission Council
“A great book for students looking for help in applying to MBA programs. I’ve referred instructors to material contained in several books over the years, including Kaplan’s, The Princeton Review’s, and others. Secrets to Getting into Business School (and its prepublication print editions) is the only book that was consistently used by teachers and praised by students. A typical comment from our students was: ‘Can I keep it?’” --David E. Cleland, former International Vice President for both Kaplan Educational Centers and The Princeton Review
From the Publisher
This book provides coverage of all seven MBA application components with an in-depth focus on how to write superior application essays.See all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book does a good job at giving clear answers to tough quesitons (those that usually don't get them). However, in that it also gets a bit simplistic. For example the trade off between GPA/GMAT/Essays/etc - I like the chat but not sure that's the case in every/most schools.
In comparison to The Best Business Schools' Admissions Secrets, it actually has 100 secrets (though the author calls them tips in the book), but still there is 100 of them.
The first portion of the book is written in a Q&A format, which I like - you can find the answers to the questions that bug you, skip the ones you don't care about, and discover new ones you have not even though of.
Most of the book is focused on the MBA essays and rightly so. It has a number of sample essays but they seem to be dated. The length is very long and that's not representative of the latest cuts to the word count many schools implemented in recent years.
There are a few things that could be improved:
1. This book does not have a strong central theme; instead it has a selection of tips/secrets. Would be nice to wrap them all around a theme/strategy.
2. Would be great to have some quotes from admissions officers in addition to Steve DeKrey (HKUST's dean)
Bottom Line: Set your expectations right: this book is a collection of admissions tips; it won't do the work for you - you will still have to apply the tips and figure out your story & strategy. You will probably need another book (that has more basics and takes you to a certain level) to formulate a strategy, plan things out, etc. As with any other book, expect to do quite a bit of research about your target schools.
Let me know if any questions about this book - I reply to PM's.
BB | GMAT 750 | MBA
Founder of GMAT Club
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Job Hunting & Careers > Guides
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Management Science
- Books > Business & Investing > Reference > GMAT
- Books > Education & Reference > Higher & Continuing Education > Graduate School > Graduate School Guides
- Books > Education & Reference > Test Preparation > Graduate & Professional > GMAT
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Management
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Management Science
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance > Management
- Books > Textbooks > Test Prep & Study Guides