- Paperback: 480 pages
- Publisher: BearManor Media (July 9 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1593936168
- ISBN-13: 978-1593936167
- Product Dimensions: 19 x 2.8 x 23.5 cm
- Shipping Weight: 1 Kg
- Average Customer Review: 2 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #168,338 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Gilmore Girls Companion Paperback – Dec 8 2010
|New from||Used from|
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
A.S. Berman is a longtime Gilmore Girls fan, and author of The New Horror Handbook and 30 Years of British Television. He and his wife (and Gilmore Girls Companion art director) Pamela share a house with a cat named after Max Medina, though CatKirk now seems more suitable. (Max, no!) Berman is currently working on Soap! The Inside Story of the Sitcom that Broke All the Rules.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
-Clearly the author put an extensive amount of work into this book. From gathering exclusive cast&crew interviews to doing tons of research, his efforts show!
-Overall format with breakdown of each episode to include best moments & quotes.
-There were many trivia tidbits that I, a very seasoned fan, never knew previously & it was exciting to discover new details!
- Editing is an absolute mess. After all the author's hard work compiling great information, it's really a shame to see factual and dialogue errors & many, many other smaller errors! It's really sloppy and I found it to be a significant distraction. Especially the mis-quoting! (I compared my DVDs to the text in the book multiple times). This is a
big mistake with a TV show which so heavily depends on its dialogue.
- The author is highly subjective/opinionated and has many Gilmore biases. This companion provides behind the scenes tips & summarizes episodes. I appreciate that the author has opinions, as all of us Gilmore fans do. However, this book was not the vehicle for them and it felt inappropriate amongst so much factual text.
- The author, as a male, downplays the female experience and speaks condescendingly towards certain actions of female characters. I found this highly underwhelming at best and greivously patronizing at worst! Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that a man wrote this book and has enthusiasm for a show geared toward women. But this certain man definitely got it wrong and threw some "mansplaining" in this book as well. This is incredibly disappointing.
- Price point. When I bought this book, it was about $40 with tax. Given my experience, I think this book is worth more like $15-20.
Overall, I think Gilmore fans can pass on this one unless it randomly goes on deeply-discounted sale. The quotes & trivia are fun, but are not nearly enough to make up for what the book lacks, in my opinion. I wish there was a review like this before I bought my copy! Until then, counting down the days until the revival in November! :)