Global Geographies of the Internet Paperback – Aug 1 2012
|New from||Used from|
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Today, roughly 2 billion people use the internet, and its applications have flourished in number and importance. This volume will examine the growth and geography of the internet from a political economy perspective. Its central motivation is to illustrate that cyberspace does not exist in some aspatial void, but is deeply rooted in national and local political and cultural contexts. Toward that end, it will invoke a few major theorists of cyberspace, but apply their perspectives in terms that are accessible to readers with no familiarity with them. Beyond summaries of the infrastructure that makes the internet possible and global distributions of users, it delves into issues such as the digital divide to emphasize the inequalities that accompany the growth of cyberspace. It also addresses internet censorship, e-commerce, and e-government, issues that have received remarkably little scholarly attention, particularly from a spatial perspective. Throughout, it demonstrates that in cyberspace, place matters, so that no comprehensive understanding of the internet can be achieved without considering how it is embedded within, and in turn changes, local institutional and political contexts. Thus the book rebuts simplistic “death of distance” views or those that assert there is, or can be, a “one-size-fits-all, cookie-cutter” model of the internet applicable to all times and places.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Urban & Regional
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Communication
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Human Geography
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Urban Planning & Development
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Urban & Regional
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences > Geography
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Geography
- Books > Textbooks > Business & Finance
- Books > Textbooks > Communication & Journalism > Communications
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Earth Sciences
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Geography
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science > Public Policy