- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
A Good and Wise Measure: The Search for the Canadian-American Boundary, 1783-1842 Paperback – Jun 16 2001
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Francis M. Carroll is Senior Scholar of History at the University of Manitoba and a fellow of St. John's College.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
And the story itself is fascinating: Establishing our common boundary began with men pouring over crude maps in Europe, then having surveyors try to locate key landmarks despite conflicting facts on the ground. Today's border could very well have been different. Imagine Plattsburgh, Quebec, instead of NY. Over 8,000 square miles of prime Maine timber are US territory but might have been Canada had negotiations gone differently.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Americas > Canada
- Books > History > Americas > United States > 19th Century
- Books > History > Americas > United States > Colonial Period
- Books > History > Americas > United States > Revolution & Founding
- Books > History > Canada
- Books > History > Europe > England
- Books > History > Military > Canada
- Books > History > Military > United States
- Books > History > United States > 19th Century
- Books > History > United States > Colonial Period
- Books > History > United States > Revolution & Founding
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Government > Military
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > International > Relations