- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Grammar Book: An ESL/EFL Teacher's Course Hardcover – Jul 24 1998
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
1. Introduction 2. Grammatical Metalanguage 3. The Lexicon 4. The Copula and Subject-Verb Agreement 5. Introduction to Phrase Structure 6. More Phrase Structure Rules 7. The Tense and Aspect System 8. Modal Auxiliaries and Related Phrasal Forms 9. The Tense-Aspect-Modality System in Discourse 10. Negation 11. Yes/No Questions 12. Imperatives 13. Wh-Questions 14. Other Structures That Look Like Questions 15. Articles 16. Reference and Possession 17. Partitives, Collectives, and Quantifiers 18. The Passive Voice 19. Sentences with Indirect Objects 20. Adjectives 21. Prepositions 22. Phrasal Verbs 23. Nonreferential It and There as Subjects 24. Coordinating Conjunction 25. Adverbials 26. Logical Connectors 27. Conditional Sentences 28. Introduction to Relative Clauses 29. More on Relative Clauses 30. Focus and Emphasis 31. Complementation 32. Other Aspects of Complementation and Embedded Clauses 33. Reported Speech and Writing 34. Degree: Comparatives and Equatives 35. Degree: Complements and Superlatives 36. Conclusion
About the Author
Dr. Diane Larsen-Freeman is one of the most renowned names in the field of ESL particularly in the area of grammar. She is a professor of Applied Linguistics in the Department of Language Teacher Education at the School for International Training in Brattleboro Vermont. In addition to her co-authorship of The Grammar Book she is the editor of Discourse Analysis in Second Language Research and is the Series Director for Grammar Dimensions: Form Meaning and Use.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Now pay attention, because you might not want this book at all! It's a technical reference book for English teachers with good prior training. Before you spend a lot of money on it, make sure it's what you want! Don't expect it to be something it has no intention of being. It's not a textbook for learners, and it's not for casual readers, beginners, or ESL students. People with no training in linguistics or grammar will find it above their level, so be warned! There are many more useful and cheaper books for you out there.
If you're an English teacher or planning to be one, if you're really interested in the "why" of grammar and usage, and if you don't mind detailed technical explanations, then you will find "The Grammar Book" invaluable. It adds to your understanding of every topic, offers fascinating insights into the workings of language, and has really useful examples everywhere.
It is expensive for a reason. It's a thorough, hard-cover reference book that can be used for years, or, at least until the major rules of English change.
If you are new to English grammar, do not buy this book. It's too technical for students trying/continuing to try to learn grammar. If you plan to teach English as a foreign language or 2nd language, this is a good reference for you to have so you explain the 'why' questions that tend to stump you.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > English as a Second Language
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching > Pedagogy
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Grammar
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Study & Teaching
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Usage
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Education
- Books > Textbooks > Education
- Books > Textbooks > English As a Second Language
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Foreign Languages