The Great Race (Widescreen)
|Price:||CDN$ 9.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 25. Details|
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Great Race, The (DVD)
Director Blake Edwards, fresh from the success of the first two Pink Panther movies, indulged his love of classic slapstick comedy with this long free-for-all, which throws in everything but Laurel and Hardy's kitchen sink. The film reunites Some Like It Hot stars Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon, ably aided by a spunky Natalie Wood. The subject is a New-York-to-Paris auto race in the early years of the 20th century, pitting the Great Leslie (Curtis), a goody-goody dressed all in white--even his teeth sparkle--against the malevolent Professor Fate (Lemmon), whose coal-black heart is reflected in his handlebar mustache. He looks like a bill collector from a silent- movie melodrama. Lemmon does double duty, also playing the pampered, drunken king of a small European country, whose laugh sounds like the wail of a cat in heat. The film may be too long for its own good, and you really have to love Jack Lemmon to put up with his over-the-top performance, but it's side-splitting in spots. It's one of those movies, if seen in childhood, that stays in your mind for years afterward. Some of the bigger routines, such as a pie fight of epic proportions, don't work as well as the simple chemistry between the perpetually exasperated Professor Fate and his much-abused assistant, Max (a terrific Peter Falk). Push the button, Max. --Robert Horton --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
My whole family, & their families all love it. A true classic that will entertain all generations. The actors are brilliant at spoofing the old time melodramas. If you have a sense if humour, you will love it too.
Crank your engines! With a roar, a splutter and a pop (and more Academy Award® winning Best Sound Effects), and see drivers wheel westward in a wacky turn-of-the-century automobiles for a New York-to-Paris race (westward across America, the Bering Strait and Russia). Ahead lies 20,000 miles, a barroom brawl, a sinking iceberg, 2,357 pies in the face and incalculable laughs.
Blake Edwards turns a marvellous cast loose, on a round-the-world highway booby-trapped by some of the funniest gags ever. Jack Lemon and Peter Falk are nasty Professor Fate and his dim henchman Max. Tony Curtis is their good-guy nemesis The Great Leslie. And Natalie Wood is a cheroot-puffing suffragette reporter Maggie DeBois. All scored to the music of four-time Academy Award-winning composer Henry Mancini. And ravishingly brought to you in a brand new digital transfer, plus a revitalised digital audio from restored elements. ‘The Great Race’ is great fun!
FILM FACT: ‘The Great Race’ won an Academy Award® Oscar for Best Sound Effects for George Groves and was nominated for Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing and Best Song "The Sweetheart Tree" with music written by Henry Mancini. ‘The Great Race’ was also nominated for the Golden Globe® Awards for Best Picture, Musical or Comedy and Best Actor, Musical or Comedy for Jack Lemmon. At the 4th Moscow International Film Festival, the film won the Silver Prize.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
A classic comedy they don't make anymore. Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk steal the movie.Published 1 month ago by Gary Stewart
Disc arrived in good shape and on time.
Lots of funny instances.
Fun for the whole family.
I would recommend it.
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure > Comic Action
- Movies & TV > Classics > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Classics > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Classics > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Classic Comedies
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Comedy Directors > Blake Edwards
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Comedy Stars > Jack Lemmon
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Parody & Spoof
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Slapstick
- Movies & TV > En français > Action, Aventure, Policier et Thriller > Action
- Movies & TV > En français > Action, Aventure, Policier et Thriller > Western > Westerns modernes, spaghetti et crépusculaires
- Movies & TV > En français > Comédie > Comédies musicales
- Movies & TV > En français > Comédie > Comédies romantiques
- Movies & TV > En français > Enfants, Jeunesse et Famille > Films > Action, Aventure, Policier et Thriller
- Movies & TV > En français > Enfants, Jeunesse et Famille > Films > Comédie
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Classics
- Movies & TV > Kids & Family > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals > Classics
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Westerns > Romance