Groundswell: The Case for Fracking Hardcover – May 13 2014
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Praise for Ethical Oil:
• "Ever provocative and controversial, Levant provides an alternative perspective on the development of Canada's oil sands. . . . Levant tackles a global issue that has an overwhelming impact on Canada and its place in the world." - National Business Book Award citation
• "[Ethical Oil] has clearly had a huge impact on the debate." - Calgary Herald
About the Author
Ezra Levant is a lawyer, journalist, and political activist, and a talk host for SUN TV. He is the author of The Enemy Within: Terror, Lies, and the Whitewashing of Omar Khadr, Shakedown: How Our Government Is Undermining Democracy in the Name of Human Rights, which won the Writers' Trust and Samara's Best Canadian Political Book of the Last 25 Years, and Ethical Oil, winner of the National Business Book Award. He lives in Toronto. The author lives in Toronto.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
However, the tone of the book bothered me at points. For example, Levant rolls his eyes at global warming in a couple parts of the book, without involving it in his central arguments. Back in high school, I learned that this is basic debate error referred to as "begging the question". The pervasiveness of global warming is an entirely different matter of debate, and bringing it up as an aside basically amounts to little more than taunting. There are other aspects to his tone that are "taunting" in nature, particularly in how he refers to his opponents (I can't remember if he used the term "hippy" or not, but it amounts to that at times). It makes the book feel more like propaganda than an accounting of facts, even though he brings up many well-sourced arguments. I can understand why he would want to take on that tone, because the sloppy propaganda-like nature of his opponents' arguments are often far-more pronounced, but I wish Levant would have taken the higher road.
Ultimately, Levant's tone will be off-putting for those with mainstream environmental views, even though his actual arguments should be very appealing to them, and thus there is a lot of wasted potential with regards to the book's ability to sway public opinion.Read more ›
Ezra, creditably puts to rest the arguments used against fracking seen in Jeff Fox's movie, showing Jeff fabricated just about everything in his movies with the exception of the banjo music.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation will have to run another couple of dozen anti-fracking propaganda pieces to help their buddy Putin's war on European energy independence and to help him control the former USSR states by controlling their access to energy.
If you ever wondered why there is such a media firestorm and feeding frenzy over fracking this book explains just what the stakes are for the countries threatened by Russia's control of natural gas.
As Ezra says, gas is power, as in political power.
Interesting factoid from the book: Russia spills the equivalent of a BP gulf oil spill every 8 weeks.
Most recent customer reviews
Ezra did great research and has produced an exceeding well written book re the case for fracking. Our local Melfort, SK library has the book and that is where I first read, however... Read morePublished 20 months ago by Floyd W Gunter
The mainstream media paints a very negative portrait of fracking by hiding all the positive parts. This book tells the other half of that story. Read morePublished 21 months ago by Emmanuel Maicas
"The most incredible effect of fracking is the impact it has on the amount of energy we have in the world. Read more
This is just an excellent book and a valuable resource of information about the practice of Fracking for Gas and Oil extraction. Read morePublished 23 months ago by Amazon Customer
Always like his writting. Factual, "He does his research" No BS just right to the point.
More people should read this. Read more
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Chemical > Petrochemical
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Environmental
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Mining
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Petroleum, Mining & Geological > Drilling Procedures
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Petroleum, Mining & Geological > Petroleum
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Earth Sciences
- Books > Science & Math > Earth Sciences > Prospecting & Mining
- Books > Science & Math > Environment > Conservation
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Environment > Conservation