- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
A Guide Through Narnia Paperback – Jul 4 2004
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
MARTHA C. SAMMONS is Associate Professor of English at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book is structured as follows: Chapter 1: a discussion of Lewis's life
Chapter 2: how Lewis wrote the series and exposition on Lewis's views on the genre
Chapter 3: synopsis of each book in the series. These summaries were very well written.
Chapter 4: description of the land of Narnia
Chapter 5: in-depth review of the character of Aslan. One of the best chapters in the book, Sammons explores the symbol of Aslan in each book and His role as the moving force in the plot
Chapter 6: discussion of the good/neutral characters of Narnia
Chapter 7: discussion of the evil characters of Narnia
Chapter 8: Christian concepts in the books
The book also includes an index of character and place names, but the reader would be advised to obtain a copy of "Companion To Narnia" by Paul F. Ford instead.
Sammons explores the question whether the Narnia Chronicles are allegory for Christian faith. She is not "preachy" but seems to honestly describe the faith and the symbols within the novels. She does a fine job in providing quotes from C.S. Lewis's writings to back her points.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Literature & Fiction > Children's Literature Guides
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > History & Criticism
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Religious Studies