- Paperback: 272 pages
- Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (Nov. 4 1993)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0450595609
- ISBN-13: 978-0450595608
- Parcel Dimensions: 17.4 x 10.8 x 2.2 cm
- Shipping Weight: 181 g
- Average Customer Review: 314 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,095,709 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Guilty Pleasures Paperback – Nov 4 1993
|New from||Used from|
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Behold the Dreamers" is an unforgettable debut novel about a family's struggle to make a new life in America from author Imbolo Mbue. Learn more
Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.
Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
"Hamilton's complex, enthralling world is utterly absorbing." --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.See all Product description
Top customer reviews
1) SETTING: This is an alternate world where what appears to be 20th century humans coexist with vampires and other supernatural creatures. There are even laws that give vampires certain rights in this new world. Our brief glimpse of the world created is teasing in its possibilities and enjoyable.
2) CHARACTERS: Anita Blake is our main protagonist. She is a female version of a smart-mouthed detective from some stereotypical gumshoe story. She is a character who proudly displays her stereotypes but also enjoyable has a couple of traits that add something memorable. I liked the character enough that she is more the reason why I would want to read the next book than because the plot was maybe fabulous.
3) PLOT: Speaking of plot...it was a nice little mystery. I didn't feel that there were enough clues to who the "bad" guy was but the story had enough unexpected events that I kept reading. Story was overall handled well though I would have liked to see more "action" scenes vs. scenes that were potentially eruptive in action...if you know what I mean.
4) CONTENT: This book would be rated R for gore and violence. The "sensual" scenes were handled very professionally, were brief and were NOT graphic sexually...which I appreciated. I wanted a vampire, action, mystery and that is what I got.
OVERALL: I liked this book and if someone likes to read vampire books and have a mystery I'd recommend this in a heartbeat. Just because the covers of this series and the titles of the books may imply this is erotic horror, this book wasn't. If the rest of the series is, I don't know. But this was a fun little read that I really enjoyed.
The high pace of the story, and the storytelling ability, is the first high point of the book.
The second high point of the book is the involving story with characters that make sense. You can understand the reason behind everything that all characters make and this helps to make the whole setting and characters more engaging.
The only low point is that the story started and ended a little too fast. There were lots of things, in my opinion, that could be developed further. A better explanation of the world where vampires and humans coexist was something I was looking. But I guess I'll have to read the other stories to see if I can get a better idea of that!
Overall, I recomend the book for everybody that enjoys the genre of high-paced vampire inveestigation and action stories.
Want to see more reviews on this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category