- Paperback: 480 pages
- Publisher: WW Norton; unknown edition (April 6 1999)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0393317552
- ISBN-13: 978-0393317558
- Product Dimensions: 15.5 x 3.8 x 23.6 cm
- Shipping Weight: 544 g
- Average Customer Review: 707 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,291 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Guns, Germs, and Steel Paperback – Apr 6 1999
|New from||Used from|
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Explaining what William McNeill called The Rise of the West has become the central problem in the study of global history. In Guns, Germs, and Steel Jared Diamond presents the biologist's answer: geography, demography, and ecological happenstance. Diamond evenhandedly reviews human history on every continent since the Ice Age at a rate that emphasizes only the broadest movements of peoples and ideas. Yet his survey is binocular: one eye has the rather distant vision of the evolutionary biologist, while the other eye--and his heart--belongs to the people of New Guinea, where he has done field work for more than 30 years. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
From Library Journal
Most of this work deals with non-Europeans, but Diamond's thesis sheds light on why Western civilization became hegemonic: "History followed different courses for different peoples because of differences among peoples' environments, not because of biological differences among peoples themselves." Those who domesticated plants and animals early got a head start on developing writing, government, technology, weapons of war, and immunity to deadly germs. (LJ 2/15/97)
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Top customer reviews
Want to see more reviews on this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient > Early Civilization
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Human Geography
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Evolution
- Books > Science & Math > Behavioural Sciences
- Books > Science & Math > Evolution
- Books > Textbooks