- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Half-Assed: A Weight-Loss Memoir Paperback – Apr 29 2008
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I am a 29yo man who has had (and continues to have) a battle with weight similar to Jeanette's. It was so nice and refreshing to have someone say all of the things in my brain without me having to say them. She had me in stitches when she said she couldn't just throw all of her junk food out, and needed to start a 'bundt cake relocation program'. I also liked how a topic she came back to a few times was that as a heavier woman she always felt that skinny people were judging her, and when she lost the weight she felt that heavier people were judging her - dealing with our fear of other's judgement. Another topic that I could really relate to was when she talked about the 'FA' (Fat acceptance) clubs throwing her out cause she wanted to lose weight to be healthy.
No matter what Jeanette is writing about, she does it with a dry wit that can't help but make you laugh. If you are looking for a how to book, or a quick fix - this ultimately isn't for you - but if you are looking to comiserate about the internal struggle with weight loss, then pull up a bowl of sugar free Jell-o and crack the spine.
I also like Fulda's attitude. She doesn't pretend to be a weight loss guru, and she never disrespects herself and her body. Everyone knows how to lose weight...it's her dedication that makes her tale amazing. Also, I enjoy her focus on becoming athletic rather than getting thin (especially refreshing in today's "Get Skinny!" social climate.) She is a very positive person, even when dealing with ugly plus-size clothes, negative blog comments, or the inevitable plateaus.
This is a great, inspirational read, and Fulda is a delightful writer. Reading it made my wait at the DMV actually enjoyable; I only wish the book could have lasted longer!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Specific Groups > Women
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Loss
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Maintenance
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > History & Criticism
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Internal Medicine