Half-Hearted Enemies: Nova Scotia, New England and the War of 1812 Paperback – May 6 2005
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"This is not only marvelous socical history, it is also the best account of the War of 1812 from a Maritime perspective." (Bill Twatio esprit de corps)
"The most unusual and compelling aspect of Half-Hearted Enemies, beyond the well-told stories of land and sea battles, is the fact that great efforts were made to maintain normal peacetime relations between Nova Scotia and New England during the War of 1812." (Bruce Erskine The Chronicle Hearld)
"John Boileau explores the complexities of families and neighbours at war. Overall, a most revealing an valuable review." (BIO-Oceans Association Newsletter)
"[Boileau has a neat way of summing up events with short, insightful observations. . . . [A lively, readable book." (Jim Lotz Canadian Military History Book Review Supplement)
About the Author
JOHN BOILEAU is a retired Canadian army colonel and author of ten books and nearly 300 articles. He is a frequent commentator on military issues for radio and television and a lecturer to service organizations and historical societies. In 2010 the Minister of National Defence appointed him Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel of the Halifax Rifles. He lives in Nova Scotia.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
It brings more details, which I was not aware of, into the already complex events we call the War of 1812. A must for any history or military library. Allows us to see the cost of conflict and the impact on the home front.
I would also suggest The War of 1812 (The Chicago History of American Civilization) and The Dawn's Early Light (Maryland Paperback Bookshelf) if you wish to know about the War of 1812.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Americas > Canada > 19th Century
- Books > History > Americas > Canada > Pre-Confederation
- Books > History > Americas > Canada > Province & Local
- Books > History > Americas > Canada > War of 1812
- Books > History > Americas > United States > 19th Century
- Books > History > Canada > 19th Century
- Books > History > Canada > Pre-Confederation
- Books > History > Canada > Province & Local
- Books > History > Canada > War of 1812
- Books > History > Military > Canada
- Books > History > Military > United States
- Books > History > Military > War of 1812
- Books > History > United States > 19th Century