Compare Offers on Amazon
Half Hour of Power Enhanced
|Price:||CDN$ 14.70 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 25. Details|
Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfilment centres, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA products qualify for FREE Shipping
If you're a seller, Fulfilment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfilment by Amazon .
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|1. Grab The Devil By The Horns **** Him Up The ***|
|2. Machine Gun|
|3. What I Believe|
|5. Makes No Difference|
|7. 32 Ways To Die|
|8. Second Chance For Max Headroom|
|9. Dave's Possessed Hair/It's What We're All About|
|10. Ride The Chariot To The Devil|
|11. Another Time Around|
Japanese version featuring 2 enahnced video tracks: 'Makes No Difference', & 'Gone Gone Gonerrhea'
Pop punk: "because there is no fourth chord". Its an ethos thats served their forefathers well and Sum 41s 2000 debut Half Hour of Power, sticks firmly to this frantic fretboard formula.
Their hugely successful All Killer No Filler album was recorded only two months after this--to say that they are cut from the same cloth is an understatement, but not necessarily a bad thing. What they lack in the assured canniness that Blink 182 occasionally produce (dirty jokes aside of course) they make up for with catchy riffs and a fine line in pre-pubescent white-boy rap--so much so that youd think The Offspring aimed "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)" at them.
"Makes No Difference" is as close to the brilliance of "Fat Lip" as it gets here, but the breezy "Summer" keeps the adrenaline pumping where the tunes falls short (and a catchy hookline is essential for songs like these to succeed).
Their delinquency is reminiscent of Ashs 1977 (with similar photo album booklets), but where Tim Wheeler wrote "Girl From Mars", "Bizzy" has written "Daves Possessed Hair" with the lyrics "You say youre a pacifist/Instead you wave your fist." Close, but no Harry Winterman cigar. Quintessential casualties of middle-brow, white-collar, suburban society, this is 30 minutes of power but only 15 minutes of tunes.
Good enough for what it achieved but its hard to see if they have the ability (or desire) to evolve and graduate from this tiresome genre and write classics like Green Day did.
Still, they seem to be having the time of their lives while they can and that, apparently, is all that matters.--Ben Johncock
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The album begins with an Iron Maiden-esque instrumental, which quickly slides into Machine Gun, one of the better songs on this short album. After What I Believe, another good song, it gets to Makes No Difference, the hit single from this album. After an incredible drum solo from Steve on 32 Ways To Die, in gets to Second Chance For Max Headroom. This is without a doubt the best song on the album, simply because it adds a hint of ska. The rest of the album is a few more pop-punk songs, and another instrumental, and the brief disc comes to a close.
What's funny about this is that they actually extended Another Time Around from its usual time 3:22 to 6:52, giving us three and a half minutes of silence just so it can get the duration up to half an hour. Also, I'm glad Dave changed his name from Hot Chocolate to Brown Sound. Cuz the name Hot Chocolate - well, it just sucks. Anyways, I'm recommending this to middle schoolers, simply because you'll grow out of it by high school. Or not...
1. Grab The Devil By The Horns - 5/5 - A great start to the album with this minute-long Iron Maiden style improvision. Heavy and gripping.
2. Machine Gun - 3½/5 - A change to pop-punk and a good, fun song. Good to sing along to, especially in the "na na na na na", which is funny.
3. What I Believe - 4/5 - One of Sum 41's most underestimated songs. Good guitars at start and again good to sing along to.
4. T.H.T - 3/5 - A bit of a joke song, lasting less than a minute and containing extremely fast singing. Not bad, but not good either.
5. Makes No Difference - 5/5 - The single from Half Hour of Power and a great song. Introduction makes you interested and the song just gets better from there.
6. Summer - 5/5 - Another great song, included on All Killer No Filler. Fast guitars and drums. Good to sing along to, especially in the chorus.
7. 32 Ways To Die - 3½/5 - A minute and a half instrumental containing an unbelievable drum solo from Steve. Guitars help to make this good as well.
8. Second Chance For Max. Headroom - 5/5 - The best song on the album in my opinion. Highly singable and enjoyable. Changes somewhat with horns later on, and then back again.
9. Dave's Possessed Hair / It's What We're All About - 5/5 - Both songs on this track are great, especially the former, which is about their former bass player. But why two songs on one track?
10.Ride The Chariot To The Devil - 3/5 - Quite an unnecessary track, given that there had already been 2 instrumentals.Read more ›
1. GRAB THE DEVIL BY THE HORNS AND **** HIM UP THE ***- This is the first of the three instrumentals on the album. It is okay. It's only a minute long, so you can usually start off by listening to it. It's all right. I'd give it 6/10.
2. MACHINE GUN- This is a song with only a few falls. One being the whole "gin" part. That almost ruins the song, but some of the chords in the bridge bring it back up a little. 5/10.
3. WHAT I BELIEVE- Not too bad. It's one of the better songs on the C.D. It has a pretty good chorus. Awesome guitaring just makes this song better. 7/10.
4. T(ables). H(ave). T(urned).- This song isn't too bad. Short (45 seconds) but okay lyrics. It could have been better, but then again, what couldn't use a little improvement? 5/10.
5. Makes No Difference- This is the single off of this C.D. It also has some pretty good guitaring with some good lyrics. It's most extrodanarialy awesome. 8/10.
6. Summer- This is a good song. I like this version better than the one of "ALL KILLER, NO FILLER" because of the ending. It's also 10 seconds shorter on here. Not too bad of a song. 7/10.
7. 32 Ways To Die- The 2nd instrumental. Okay, but it seems too long. 4/10.
8. Second Chance For Max Headroom- I like this song a lot. It's also Sum 41's only song with some horn playing on the bridge, which makes this song set aside from the others. This is one of their best songs. 8/10.
9. Dave's Possessed Hair- It's an okay song. Fast paced, but not the best, or worst. Good lyrics, and pretty well made. 7/10.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
i don't know why sum 41 always get lumped in with punk bands(green day,blink,nofx). they are really punk but they're more than punk. they're metallic. i think they're punk/metal. Read morePublished on Feb. 20 2006 by dean skillin
Sum41 is the shizzy!!!Personally,im usually into really hard rock bands like Korn,Deftones and Alice In Chains,but Sum41 is sooo amazing!!!! Read morePublished on April 10 2004 by Michelle
a good cd for every body this cd is better than blink 182's cd's sum41 fan's well love this cd and now this is great 2 there are the dvd's thay are asome 2 i needed the dvd'sPublished on March 9 2004 by sum41
This EP is very basic...but it has the clasic sound of Sum 41. I enjoyed this cd when i heard it. But it didn't have the massive freestyles like their first LP, All Killer No... Read morePublished on March 2 2004 by thejmyster
ok, this is a gr8 punk debut mini album contains songs like Daves Possessed Hair/What were all about - great attempt on rap at the end! Read morePublished on Feb. 3 2004 by Dan Triance
Sum 41 is one of the best punk rock bands out there (i cant say the best cause theres also green day, afi, brand new, etc), and if you have All Killer No Filler saying "ive... Read morePublished on Jan. 30 2004
I really like this CD. Buy it! You won't regret it. Sum41 is really talented and really know how to play the guitar well.Published on Dec 13 2003
I must admit, If I wasnt a huge Sum 41 fan I would not be pleased at all with this disc. Its very short and has long dull instrumentals. Read morePublished on Nov. 23 2003 by Amy
O.K, to start off, i have all three sum 41 cd's. I purchased this one third out of the three. This one if o.k. i wouldn't rate it a 5 star. it's a good cd but, not too great. Read morePublished on Nov. 9 2003