Handel's Operas, 1704-1726 Hardcover – Mar 20 2014
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
One of the great monuments of musical scholarship of our day - a mine of information lucidly delved, sharply stimulating...a pleasure to read for its crisply expressed, infinitely discerning and above all loving responses to the works themselves. FINANCIAL TIMES This volume is a monument to the source-critical method. It is a rigorous investigation of the bewilderingly abundant musical and literary sources of each opera, and its most lasting influence will be on future editions of Handel's music. EARLY MUSIC This is a volume that every listener to or viewer of Handel's operas will want to purchase, and examine at length...Top marks for this reissue. FANFARE
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I have been waiting since 1995 for Volume II where Handel's best (and conversely, most pathetic) works would be analyzed. Sadly, I understand that Mr. Dean has since passed away and thus, I doubt that I will ever see the work completed. If any of you out there are musicologists and/or music historians, please consider filling in this disappointing gap!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Schools, Periods & Styles > Baroque
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Composers & Musicians
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Specific Groups
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Biographies
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Classical > Scores > Composers > Handel
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Classical > Scores > Forms & Genres > Opera
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Opera
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Theory, Composition & Performance > Songwriting
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Performing Arts > Music