Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them Paperback – Dec 26 2008
|New from||Used from|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Originally published in 1909, "Handy Farm Devices" is more than an engaging trip down memory lane. For any small farmer or homesteader, the techniques and devices described in detail are just as useful, durable, and fully functional today as they were 75 years ago. You will learn to build a portable chicken coop, a stone boat (for moving stone), a lightweight orchard ladder, gates that don't sag, and a handy wood splitter, as well as rudimentary farm structures, well houses, bee hives, a baby's cradle, a cheese press and much more. The charming, turn-of-the-century language and useful and inspirational quotes from Shakespeare, the Bible, Bacon, Longfellow and many others make this book a delight to read. --Mark A. Hetts --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
A reprint of a 1910 classic, this well-illustrated 288-page paperback is filled with clever ideas and useful information. Even those of us who'd rather pass on making a moveable brooder house for chickens of fashioning a baby cradle from an old barrel will find wisdom in this thrift-conscious and often environmentally wise celebration of self-suffiency. -- Country Living Magazine, April, 1997 --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
ECL is a fabulous book on so many levels, while the Handy Farm Devices barely suffices on one. The only value I can see in it is as a bit of archaeological evidence of past practices. I quickly scanned it looking for relavence and value and found none.
Most recent customer reviews
Thought this book would have practical ideas and instructions for making farm tools. Instead, I found pages containing basic ideas and sketches of devices. Read morePublished on Feb. 12 2011 by Adam
After purchasing and reading this book I am quite disappointed. With a few exceptions the ideas in it are fine for nostalgia but either simple enough to figure out yourself or of... Read morePublished on Feb. 14 2010 by Lars
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > How-to & Home Improvements > Do-It-Yourself
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > How-to & Home Improvements > Hand Tools
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > How-to & Home Improvements > Woodworking > Projects
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > How-to & Home Improvements > Woodworking > Tools
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Natural Resources
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems > Manufacturing
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Agricultural Sciences > Sustainable Agriculture
- Books > Science & Math > Agricultural Sciences > Sustainable Agriculture
- Books > Science & Math > Chemistry > Industrial & Technical