Healing with Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition Paperback – Nov 5 2002
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Healing with Whole Foods contains a wealth of information on health, diet, alternative medicine, natural food presentation, and recipes, researched by an expert in the field. Readers will learn how to apply Chinese medicine and the five-element theory to a contemporary diet; treat illness and nervous disorders through diet; and make the transition to whole vegetable foods. The most detailed source book yet published on preparing food and eating consciously, Healing with Whole Foods includes complete sections on Ayurvedic principles of food-combining; the treatment of disease conditions through meals; transition from animal products to whole vegetable foods; micro-algae; selection of waters and salts; the extremely complex varieties of oils, sugars, and condiments; vitamins and minerals; fasting and purification; food for children, food presentation and proportions; vibrational cooking; the physiology of nourishment; color diagnosis and therapy; consciousness in diet changes; plus descriptions of the nature and uses of various grains, legumes, miso, tempeh, tofu, seaweeds, nuts and seeds, sprouts, and fruits. Also featured are sections on chutneys, relishes, pickles, different milks, rejuvelac, yogurt, salads, and desserts."—Midwest Book Review
About the Author
Paul Pitchford is a teacher and nutrition researcher. In his healing work with individuals, he develops rejuvenative plans based on awareness and dietary practices. His early training, following ancient traditional practice, was primarily through apprenticeships and private instructions with masters of meditation and East Asian medicine. For more than three decades, he has applied the unifying wisdom of Far Eastern thought to the major dietary therapies available in the West to create a new vision of health and nutrition.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Paul Pitchford seems like a good doctor. He's very knowledgeable, and yet teaches a balanced natural approach to health like that of the of the great past physicians (ancient or modern, east or west). His view on global issues and how they relate to individual choices put the work of healing in proper perspective. Despite being a bit of a "melting pot", this book is, in a word, GROUNDBREAKING.
Later authors will surely build on Pitchford's work, hopefully addressing some of its shortcomings. The author's style is pretty "wordy", (I'm guilty of this too) I suppose this is necessary to describe such foreign concepts as "sheng" "deficiency" etc, but it makes for pretty dense reading. Also, the long lists of foods, syndromes etc could be better organized on the pages, maybe with more headers or pictures. Some of his advice, especially the "hot and cold" potency of foods can contradict other authors and systems. This is confusing and it does not inspire confidence in that particular method of prescribing healing foods.
But this is still an excellent book, good for those thirsty for a balanced approach in this age of extremes.
Here's few other glowing comments:
-If you want to learn to be a healthy Vegan or Vegetarian, this book could help you very much.Read more ›
- This book is HUGE!! 750 pages full of information (I was surprised I didn't have to pay much more for it -- for the amount of info this books contains, I would have easily expected to pay at least twice what it costs!)
- Amazingly well-written!
- Takes no sides, gives you the facts in a clear, concise way
- Complete with theories of Chinese Medicine and descriptions of disease patterns and how to cure them
- Very up-to-date -- this book is not just about old remedies -- it discusses all the issues of the "modern westerner"
- Very well organized with an incredible index that you can use to find absolutely anything
- Lists more foods than you probably know of, as well as the characteristics and therapeutic uses of each
- Provides numerous recipes (though it's not meant to be a cookbook, I was surprised to find that it not only describes the foods, it tells you how to *use* them, how to *prepare* them, and even how to store them!)
If you are looking for a guide to foods that is modern and up-to-date, yet helds to the traditional premises, this is it!
This book made me think about what I've been eating and drinking (and I don't mean alcohol -- you'll find some eye-opening truths here about the water you drink, as well as what the meat, poultry, and eggs go through before they get to your fridge.)
This book made me become a vegan.
This book made me purify my water before I drink it.
This book made me a conscious citizen of the planet!
But don't worry -- there is NO preaching! If you are intent on eating meat -- fine! All the suggestions in this book provide for carnivores, vegetarians, vegans, and everyone in between! It simply tells you te facts and allows you to think for yourself.
Thank you, Paul Pitchford, for putting together such an incredible book -- it's an immense achievment!
Most recent customer reviews
I lost my original copy several years ago. Now that I have my new copy I'm back on track for a healthy future :-)Published 3 months ago by Petnicks
This book is my encyclopedia of food. I have been using it as reference ever since I bought it. It has detailed descriptions of many common foods and the effect they have on our... Read morePublished 4 months ago by yulkin
The greatest book ever!
This book is worth every dollar that I paid.
In my whole life I red only one book that could compete with this one - the book by Andreas Moritz... Read more
have bought two of these it is just an Excellent book .. highly recommend
Huge book by the way 2.5 inches thick ... have bought one as a gift as well .
Amazing book. I would recommend the hardcover book as it is quite large and it makes it easier to read. Definitely a great reference book to have.Published 9 months ago by Jenny Albers
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Alternative Medicine > Chinese Medicine
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Alternative Medicine > Healing
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Alternative Medicine > Naturopathy
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Loss
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Special Conditions > Whole Foods
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Exercise & Fitness
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Nutrition
- Books > Medical Books > Alternative & Holistic > Naturopathy
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Alternative & Holistic > Naturopathy