Compare Offers on Amazon
+ CDN$ 3.49 shipping
+ CDN$ 3.49 shipping
+ CDN$ 3.49 shipping
Heaven Knows Mr. Allison (Bilingual)
Today Only: The Magic School Bus: The Complete Series is $25
Deal of the Day: The Magic School Bus: The Complete Series is at a one day special price. Offer valid on July 25, 2016, applies only to purchases of products sold by Amazon.ca, and does not apply to products sold by third-party merchants and other sellers through the Amazon.ca site. Learn more.
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
While hiding from a Japanese military offensive on a desolate Pacific Island, a marine sergeant (Mitchum) and his only fellow survivor, an Irish Roman Catholic novitiate on a humanitarian mission (Kerr), search for food, engage in philosophical sparring, avoid sexual tension, and struggle to survive.
If a war movie can be lovely, this is it. John Huston directed this touching World War II story about a Marine (Robert Mitchum) stranded with a nun (Deborah Kerr) on a Pacific island overrun by Japanese. After initial antagonism, the resulting kinship between the two characters is human and civil, even after Mitchum's grunt understandably falls in love with his unlikely companion. The action scenes, in which the pair works together to stay ahead of the enemy, are first-rate. The actors have never been better, and Huston's perennial theme about destiny's denial of our dreams is achingly clear in this essentially two-person drama. --Tom Keogh --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The acting is terrific, and the story lines very tense.
A joy to watch.
The film, even though set during WWII in the Pacific theatre, is about the relationship between the nun, in an academy award nominated performance by Deborah Kerr, and the corporal, charismatically played by Robert Mitchum, who never looked more handsome or virile in a film. It is rather charming to see how their relationship develops, and how Mitchum's character with his checkered past falls in love with Kerr's nun, even though he never sees anything of her sexuality other than her face and personality. He learns to love for the very first time in his life, and becomes truly devoted to her, and in the process becomes a better and more complete man, a man with a greater spiritual dimension and a capacity to truly love.Read more ›
This is a wonderful character study of two people who are simultaneously polar opposites (warrior vs. woman of peace; street-tough vs. refined) and yet twin souls (courageous, loyal, unselfish, and duty-bound, one to the Marines and the other to Christ). Their attraction to one another is just as natural as their parting in the end (each following their duty) is inevitable, albeit bittersweet.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
very well done and has a message if you watch and pay attention you will find outPublished 5 months ago by Robert Tilden
Hard to say anything about it. For some reason this DVD does not work on my machine.
I tried everything and even on my computer but can't make it work.
Great movie, Robert Mitchum is great and fun to watch. For the whole family. Good buy for collectors.Published 14 months ago by P.E.B.
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure > Comic Action
- Movies & TV > Action & Adventure > Kids & Teens
- Movies & TV > Classics > Classic Stars > Robert Mitchum
- Movies & TV > Classics > Drama
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Military & War
- Movies & TV > Comedy > Romantic Comedies
- Movies & TV > Drama > Classics
- Movies & TV > Drama > Love & Romance
- Movies & TV > Drama > Military & War
- Movies & TV > En français > Action, Aventure, Policier et Thriller > Action
- Movies & TV > En français > Action, Aventure, Policier et Thriller > Guerre
- Movies & TV > En français > Comédie > Comédies dramatiques
- Movies & TV > En français > Comédie > Comédies romantiques
- Movies & TV > En français > Drame > Drames romantiques
- Movies & TV > En français > Enfants, Jeunesse et Famille > Films > Action, Aventure, Policier et Thriller
- Movies & TV > En français > Enfants, Jeunesse et Famille > Films > Comédie
- Movies & TV > Military & War > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Military & War > Drama
- Movies & TV > Military & War > World War II
- Movies & TV > Sports > Boating & Sailing > Boating