- Paperback: 240 pages
- Publisher: Seven Stories Press; 1 edition (May 2 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1583227202
- ISBN-13: 978-1583227206
- Product Dimensions: 12.7 x 1.2 x 17.7 cm
- Shipping Weight: 259 g
- Average Customer Review: 1 customer review
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #85,734 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Hello Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws Paperback – May 2 2006
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
A celebrated pioneer for the LGBTIQ community, KATE BORNSTEIN is the author of My Gender Workbook: How to Become a Real Man, a Real Woman, the Real You, or Something Else Entirely and Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women and The Rest of Us, as well as the editor with S. Bear Bergman of Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation. Her plays and performance pieces include Hidden: A Gender, The Opposite Sex Is Neither, and Too Tall Blondes In Love. She lives in New York City with her partner, Barbara Carrellas.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
I've been feeling really for the last few... Well, that's the problem. I can't remember when I started feeling like this.
I watched a few videos of Bornstein in my Gender Studies classes and she kept promoting her book and I eventually was like "what the heck" I've got nothing else to lose. So, I bought the book.
It arrived yesterday. I immediately began reading, and reading, and reading.
I sympathise and relate to Bornstein's anecdotes. But, I really wanted to get to the list. I really wanted to know what I could do to feel less... Like this. I get there and she provides hilarious examples and scenarios (some also quite sombre).
While I plan to utilise quite a few of them, I feel as though they were presented in a way that required a lot of flipping back-and-forth.
I hope it works. I enjoyed reading it. I'll probably consult it every few days for weeks, if not years. I'll probably even buy a second copy to give out to friends.
Buy this book if you're feeling low. Buy this book if you're in for a list of things that you could do to not only ease suicidal thoughts but remove some boredom (Why do only the suicidal people get the fun with this book?). Buy this book for someone you love if you're worried about them. Buy this book just in-case, for you or someone else.
Buy this book.
Years later I'm on my own hitting my second rock bottom, barely making bills, not eating and going through a personality search when I remembered this book. I had copied down something Kate had said so for a year I searched. Found it and now I flip through it when I need a little reminder.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > Nonfiction
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Death & Grief > Suicide
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Mental Health > Mood Disorders
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Aging > Depression
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Teen Health
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Psychology & Counseling > Suicide
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology > Death
- Books > Self-Help > Self-Esteem
- Books > Teens > Health, Mind & Body