Hiking Grand Canyon National Park, 3rd: A Guide to the Best Hiking Adventures on the North and South Rims Paperback – Jan 25 2011
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
• Hikes suited to every ability
• Directions to the trailheads
• Trail Finder for best day and overnight hikes for families, moderate day hikes, strenuous day hikes, and backpacking trips for all levels
• Comprehensive trail descriptions with mile-by-mile directional cues
• Difficulty ratings, average hiking times, and best hiking seasons for every featured hike
• Information on fees, contacts, lodging and campgrounds, and more
About the Author
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Probably the biggest change in this guidebook over earlier editions is that it is now printed on glossy pages with beautiful photographs. The book also includes detailed descriptions of the hazards one faces hiking in the Grand Canyon, including not only dehydration but its all too common opposite, water intoxication. Descriptions of services, explanations of how to get a backpacking permit, and a detailed natural history round out the extended introduction to the third edition of this book.
The bulk of the book continues to be devoted to the trails (a fairly loose term: many of the hikes in this book are little more than routes) most of which are outside the main corridor of visitors. On the positive side, users of this book have an excellent chance to experience, if not solitude, substantially fewer crowds than more developed sites. On the downside, this book is mostly directed to experienced backpackers who are in top physical condition and who have the time (and vehicles; 4wd recommended) to access some of these locations. Most visitors to the Grand Canyon do not fall into that category. For these visitors, Best Easy Day Hikes, Grand Canyon, also by Ron Adkison, is probably a better choice. There is surprisingly little overlap between these books. But if you want truly experience the Grand Canyon on an extended and remote trip, the third edition of 'Hiking Grand Canyon' is an excellent choice.
The time allotted for the hikes is much too conservative for people who are in good condition
The description of Ribbon Falls on the North Rim does not do it justice
Overall, the guide is fantastic.
I love the first chapter of the book, which describes the canyon's history, climate, and geology.
The book focuses on to the trails - most of which are outside the main corridor of visitors.
It was pretty challenging to hike trails described there. I could easily find a trail that was’t crowded or too easy.
I am an experienced hiker, so I was extremely happy about the info the book provides.
The guide is very well organized. The book is compact and easily fit in our backpack. I was carrying it around, taking some notes that I was comparing to the details from the internet.
I would say that it has a good balance between being detailed but reasonable in size and length.
It was a great resource while on our trip.
The guide seems to be very accurate and up to date, but I would suggest double checking the trails and weather with google.
The book is informative and accurate. I would suggest read it and plan your hikes ahead! Also, keep in mind that this book is geared more towards the advanced multi-day backpacker.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Hiking & Camping > Excursion Guides
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Hiking & Camping > Walking
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Outdoor Recreation > Hiking & Camping > Excursion Guides
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Outdoor Recreation > Hiking & Camping > Walking
- Books > Travel > Reference & Tips > Food & Lodging > Parks & Campgrounds
- Books > Travel > Specialty Travel > Adventure > Hiking
- Books > Travel > United States > Regions > West
- Books > Travel > United States > States > Arizona