- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
History Of Opera Audio CD – Audiobook, Jul 13 1999
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Despite being the most preposterous of art forms, opera has somehow survived the centuries. For most, though, it's an acquired taste, and this excellent history does a good deal to explain its origins and evolution to the opera buff. Fawkes's text is learned and insightful, but it's completely free of stuffiness and isn't likely to intimidate any listener with an intermediate knowledge of classical music. Robert Powell's reading is as confident and gentle as a guide's should be, with good command of all the German, Italian and Russian words. Finally, the 100 musical selections-not just from the Naxos catalogue, but also including early historical recordings-are well chosen, and just the right length to illustrate the concepts. D.B. (c) AudioFile 2000, Portland, Maine-- Copyright © AudioFile, Portland, Maine --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > General
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Music
- Books > Audiobooks > Audio CDs > Nonfiction
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Books on CD
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > History & Criticism
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music > Musical Genres > Opera