History of the Theatre (9th Edition) Hardcover – Jul 16 2002
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The Ninth Edition retains all of the traditional features that have made History of the Theatre a classic for over thirty years, including over 530 photos and illustrations, useful maps, and the expertise of Oscar Brockett, one of the most widely respected theatre historians in the field. Franklin J. Hildy contributes his scholarship and experience throughout the book and, in particular, to a discussion of English Theatre/Shakespeare (Ch. 5). Reorganized with more uniform chapter lengths and a clearer chronology, the ninth edition continues to provide the most thorough and accurate assessment of theatre history available. For anyone involved with, or interested in, the theatre.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
As other reviewers have noted, this text is best accompanied by Dr. Brockett's lively lectures. Unfortunately, since his death last year this is impossible. I found during my time at UT that Brock was a careful scholar, interesting lecturer, and outstanding mentor.
Buy this book! It puts the others in my theatre history collection (Molinari, et al.) to shame.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Performing Arts > Theatre > History & Criticism
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Performing Arts > Theatre > History & Criticism
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Drama
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Education
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Performing Arts > Theater