- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
History of a Voyage to the Land of Brazil Paperback – Mar 11 1993
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Whatley has done English readers not versed in French a major service by providing an annotated translation of Lery's fascinating text."--"Virginia Quarterly Review
From the Back Cover
When the famous anthropologist Claude Levi-Strauss arrived in Rio de Janeiro, he had one book in his pocket: Jean de Lery's History of a Voyage to the Land of Brazil. Lery had undertaken his fascinating and arduous voyage in 1556, as a youthful member of the first Protestant mission to the New World. Janet Whatley presents the first complete English translation of one of the most vivid European accounts of life in the New World.See all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Original and insightful ideas and observations and to think it was one of the first books about first contact. Interesting
also in terms of the how Lery approached his subject with a great dosage of admiration and respect not common to ethnographic writing for the centuries to come...
Otherwise a great translation of a fascinating book.
It did have some interesting bits from time to time.
It was also interesting to read about a tribe that was openly, indisputably cannibalistic instead of just strongly-suspected.
Very short, about 200 pages of primary text. Beautifully introduced, translated and annotated, for sure.
I still don't know what a breviary is and I don't want to.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing > Travel
- Books > History > Americas > Central America
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Latin American
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Mythology > Folklore
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Cultural
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology
- Books > Science & Math > Behavioural Sciences
- Books > Travel > Latin America > South America > Brazil
- Books > Travel > Reference & Tips > Travel Writing