- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Host Family Survival Kit: A Guide for American Host Families Paperback – Jul 7 2005
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Nancy King and Ken Huff have many years of experience in the fields of intercultural training and international youth exchange and have worked in private practice as counselors and consultants.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
High school exchange students arrive loaded with questions about the American lifestyle, and it is their innocent yet intense questions that provoke us to recognize that almost every thing we do is based on our learned culture. The author prepares us to recognize our students' and our own strange reactions as ignorance of each others' cultures, not rudeness or even anger over simple things like refusing a special dessert.
I have put this book on my "Must Read" list for prospective host families. Reading it can definitely prevent huge misunderstandings and enhance the experience for everyone involved in the adventure of a lifetime.
Not only is it a "Must Read", I will also refer to it frequently during my Orientation Meetings with both Host Families and Exchange Students.
This book does help families understand their undetected cultural biases in a way that I haven't seen in other publications.
Not all host families work out and I intend to use this book as a resource for families that are having challenges arranging to life with an exchange student.
I have directly supervised 9 students over 1.5 years and indirectly with hundreds more.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Higher & Continuing Education
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Parenting > School-Age Children
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Parenting > Teenagers
- Books > Textbooks > Education
- Books > Travel > Specialty Travel > Students