No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||CDN$ 7.50|
|Kindle Price:||CDN$ 16.99|
Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
This price was set by the publisher.
How To Win Friends and Influence People Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Kindle Edition, Aug 24 2010||
Kindle Daily Deals
Each day save up to 80% on top-rated Kindle books for adults and young readers. Learn more.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
What follows are the books' 6 major sections and core points. Keep it close with you because, although simple, they are easy to forget:
* Fundamental techniques in handling people:
1) Don't criticize, condemn, or complain
2) Give honest and sincere appreciation
3) Arouse in the other person an eager want
* Why some people are very likeable (or 6 ways to make people like you):
1) They are genuinely interested in other people
2) They are often smiling
3) They remember people's name. For them, this is the sweetest and most important sound in any language
4) They are great listeners.Read more ›
Recently though, I noticed some growing criticism of the book and its teaching, and I thought that this would be a good time for me to refresh what I learned from the book and assess its quality based on the experience I've gained since the first time I read the book. So I bought the unabridged audiotapes of the book and listened to it whenever I was in the car.
Mr. Carnegie said somewhere in the book that if one thing you learn from the book, which is the ability to understand the different views of other people in different situations, then that would be enough. And I agree wholeheartedly.
My judgment is that this book will indeed teach you how to understand the motives and the different forces playing in the different people you meet.Read more ›
However, the first time I attempted to systematically put this book into practice, I was working with a domineering, loud, opinionated and outspoken person who subsequently stamped all over me and my "Carnegie" principles. True, many people (maybe a majority) will respond positively when you practice Dale Carnegie's plan, but there is a sizeable minority who will walk all over you regardless.
And a person who has self-image problems? I hate to say it, but Dale Carnegie's book can set them up to be mowed over.
I have balanced Dale Carnegie with Manuel J. Smith's book WHEN I SAY NO I FEEL GUILTY. I found it more effective when I built a good, healthy respect for myself first. Then guess what! I found myself winning more friends and influencing more people!
The book is good. The language and examples are somewhat dated, which is not unexpected, but not so dated to sound irrelevant. I do believe that the lessons provided throughout the book are useful in daily interactions with other people, but many of them are fairly intuitive - don't criticize, admit your errors, etc.
Some of the advice would be useful to pretty much anyone who deals with other people in any capacity, if not in work, in home life, or in other social situations, or with customer service people we encounter. On the other hand, some of the advice lends itself better to people who work in a capacity as a leader over subordinate employees.
The kindle edition of this is easy to read but there are a number of typos and weird paragraph breaks - I'm not sure if these are also found in the printed text or not. Either way, they don't make it unreadable.
I probably will try consciously to put some of the practices that Carnegie espouses into action and see how it goes - I don't doubt that if practiced consciously and with dedication, my relationships likely will improve. Overall I'm giving this three stars because while it does provide good advice and it's always worth being reminded of ways to improve our interactions with others, most of it we would probably already know. That said, the book was $0.99 on kindle, so why not give it a chance?
Most recent customer reviews
Great book to own and read over and over again. Will apply to every stage of your life.Published 1 month ago by Maria Papa
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Leadership
- Books > Business & Investing > Skills > Communications
- Books > Business & Investing > Skills > Running Meetings & Presentations
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Relationships > Interpersonal Relations
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Leadership
- Books > Self-Help > Success
- Kindle Store > English Language Store
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Leadership
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Investing > Skills > Communications
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Relationships > Interpersonal Relations
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Leadership
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Self-Help > Success